Stanford Men's Tennis Advances To ITA National Indoor Championships
Feb. 1, 2009
BOISE, Idaho - The No. 11 Stanford men's tennis team defeated No. 31 Auburn 5-2 today at Boise State University to qualify for the ITA National Indoor Championships in Chicago.
The Cardinal took the first doubles match, as sophomore Ted Kelly and classmate Alex Clayton won 8-2 in the No. 3 spot. Auburn quickly answered, taking the next two doubles matches and the first point.
After surrendering the doubles point, Stanford fell in the first singles match, but rallied to win the last five matches to secure the victory. No. 33 Clayton bounced back from being shutout in the first set against No. 48 Alexey Tsyrenov, winning 7-6 in the second set and then blanking Tsyrenov in the third. Senior Matt Bruch provided the clinching victory in the No. 3 spot, defeating Lukas Marsoun in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.
Stanford, now 3-0 on the season, will return home to take on BYU on Friday, Feb. 6 at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium at 1:30 p.m. and will look forward to the 16-team ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Chicago on Feb. 13-16.
Final Score: #11 Stanford University 5 - #31 Auburn University 2
1. #10 Alexey Tsyrenov/Tim Puetz (AU) def. Richard Wire/Blake Muller(STAN) 8-3
2. #19 Lukas Marsoun/Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Ryan Thacher/Matt Bruch(STAN) 8-5
3. Alex Clayton/Ted Kelly (STAN) def. Milan Krnjetin/Alex Petropoulos(AU) 8-2
OOF: 1, 3, 2
1. #33 Alex Clayton (STAN) def. #48 Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) 0-6, 7-6, 6-0
2. Tim Puetz (AU) def. Ryan Thacher (STAN) 6-2, 6-3
3. Matt Bruch (STAN) def. Lukas Marsoun (AU) 6-2, 6-4*
4. #62 Richard Wire (STAN) def. Alex Stamchev (AU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Blake Muller (STAN) def. Milan Krnjetin (AU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Gregory Hirshman (STAN) def. Alex Petropoulos (AU) 6-2, 6-3
*denotes clinching match
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive