Women's Tennis Blanks Cal Poly 7-0; Faces Notre Dame Friday At ITA National Team Indoors
Feb. 10, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 5 Stanford cruised past No. 70 Cal Poly 7-0 on Tuesday afternoon, looking sharp in its final tune-up before the ITA National Team Indoor Championships get underway on Friday afternoon.
The Cardinal (4-0) has opened the year with four straight home wins, extending its winning streak in regular season matches played at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium to 110. Throw in a 28-0 record in NCAA Tournament matches and Stanford is unbeaten in the last 138 contests played on its home court. Stanford's last loss at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium occurred on Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
There would be no threat of an upset on Tuesday against Cal Poly (2-2), as the Cardinal registered another easy victory in chilly weather with howling, brisk winds.
Stanford dominated doubles play, taking a 1-0 lead after winning at all three positions.
In singles action, the Cardinal went ahead 3-0 thanks to a pair of quick victories at the bottom of the lineup. Freshman Courtney Clayton picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 5 before fellow rookie Logan Hansen breezed to a 6-2, 6-1 triumph at No. 6.
Lindsay Burdette recorded a 6-1, 6-4 win at the No. 3 spot, securing the match.
Stanford now faces No. 14 Notre Dame on Friday in the opening round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
No. 5 Stanford 7, No. 70 Cal Poly 0
1) No. 41 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Blalock/Wong (POLY) 8-6
2) McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. Markhoff/Matzenauer (POLY) 8-5
3) Hansen/Yen (STAN) d. Filip/Malec (POLY) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 26 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Suzie Matzenauer (POLY) 6-1, 4-6, (10-4)
2) Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Brittany Blalock (POLY) 6-4, 6-3
3) No. 97 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. No. 120 Maria Malec (POLY) 6-1, 6-4
4) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Whitney Peterson (POLY) 6-3, 6-0
5) Courtney Clayton (STAN) d. Steffi Wong (POLY) 6-3, 6-1
6) Logan Hansen (STAN) d. Diane Filip (POLY) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 1, 4, 2