Men's Tennis Downs Host Illinois at ITA National Team Indoors
Feb. 13, 2009
Chicago - The fourth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team found its back against the wall early but managed to gut out an eventual 4-2 victory over 13th-ranked Illinois in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoors at the Midtown Tennis Club on Friday evening. UCLA (6-0) will next face fifth-ranked Virginia on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. (CST) in the quarterfinals. The Cavaliers (9-0) defeated Tulsa, 4-0 earlier in the day.
'This was a great win under some unbelievably tough circumstances,' said UCLA head coach Billy Martin. 'It was extremely close but the guys responded well. We loooked shocked in doubles to be quite honest. But this was our first match indoors so I feel we can get better. Matt Brooklyn really came through in the clutch for us. It was a good crowd for Illinois which always makes it more difficult. We have a really tough match tomorrow against a good team in Virginia. We're looking forward to it.'
The Bruins lost the doubles point Friday, and actually went down 2-0 in the match after 23rd-ranked Roy Kalmanovich defeated Bruin senior Harel Srugo, 6-0, 6-3 at court No. 3.
UCLA, which had won the first set on the other five courts, would take the next three singles wins for a 3-2 lead, as Haythem Abid (court No. 1), Michael Look (court No. 5) and Holden Seguso (court No. 4) were all victorious. Junior Matt Brooklyn, ranked 67th nationally, clinched the 4-2 victory for UCLA with a 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 win over Marc Spicijaric at court No. 2. Sophomore Nick Meister was up 3-2 in the third set of his match when play was suspended.
#4 UCLA 4, #13 Illinois 2
ITA National Team Indoor Championships - First Round
February 13, 2009 - Chicago (Midtown Tennis Club)
1. Heiser/Roelofse (ILL) led Abid/ Amit Inbar (UCLA) - 6-5 Susp.
2. Czerwinski/Spicijaric (ILL) def. Brooklyn/Srugo (UCLA) - 8-4
3. Brian Livingston/Nevolo (ILL) def. Meister/Seguso (UCLA) - 8-4
Illinois Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. #41 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) - 6-1, 7-5
2. #67 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #101 Marc Spicijaric (ILL) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-4*
3. #23 Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Harel Srugo (UCLA) - 6-0, 6-3
4. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Ruan Roelofse (ILL) - 6-1, 6-7, 6-3
5. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Marek Czerwinski (ILL) - 7-5, 7-6
6. #78 Nick Meister (UCLA) led Billy Heiser (ILL) - 7-6, 5-7, 3-2 Susp.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 4, 2 -- *Denotes Clinching Match