No. 9 USC Women Shut Out San Diego State
Feb. 24, 2009
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 9 USC women's tennis team peeled out to a 7-0 win over visiting No. 62 San Diego State on Tuesday afternoon, extending the Trojans' record to 7-1. It was straight-set victories across the board for the Women of Troy, who made it a sweep in doubles before rattling off wins down the line in singles.
Doubles play got going with a pair of 8-1 wins by the Women of Troy. At No. 3, Alison Ramos / Maria Sanchez drew first blood in surrendering just a single game to their Aztec opponents. At No. 1, #34 Amanda Fink / Gabriela Niculescu followed suit, cruising ahead 5-0 en route to an 8-1 win of their own to secure the doubles point for USC. Rounding out doubles play was #59 Sarah Fansler / Lyndsay Kinstler at No. 2. The Trojan pair was broken early, but came back a pushed through to win in a tiebreaker for an 8-7 (3) victory.
Singles action was kicked off with an early point notched by #8 Maria Sanchez at No. 1. Her opponent, Julia Trunk, retired after the first set to give Sanchez her 20th singles win of the season in a 6-1, 1-0 ret. decision. Soon after, #66 Gabriela Niculescu finished off a shut out of Emma Cioffi at the No. 3 slot, pinning up a 6-0, 6-0 win to take USC ahead 3-0 in the match. Clinching victory on the day for USC was #33 Amanda Fink, who dished out a 6-1, 6-2 win over Holly Bagshaw at No. 2.
Fink's win came just moments before #88 Alison Ramos took down Milana Yusupov 6-0, 6-4 at No. 4, and USC was ahead 5-0 in the match. Still going strong in their matches were Leyla Entekhabi at No. 5 and Lyndsay Kinstler at No. 6. Kinstler got her win next with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Olivia Colman, and Entekhabi finished off her second set by getting two late breaks to beat Esther Cadua 6-2, 6-3.
USC's next competition puts the Women of Troy up against Cal Poly in a 12 p.m. match on Sunday (March 1) at Marks Stadium.
#9 USC 7, #62 San Diego State 0
(1) #34 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. #37 Bagshaw/Trunk (SDSU) - 8-1
(2) #59 Fansler/Kinstler (USC) def. Ellison/Ellison (SDSU) - 8-7 (3)
(3) Ramos/Sanchez (USC) def. Cadua/Kitts (SDSU) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) #8 Maria Sanchez (USC) def #93 Julia Trunk (SDSU) - 6-1, 1-0 ret.
(2) #33 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-2*
(3) #66 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Emma Cioffi (SDSU) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) #88 Alison Ramos (USC) def. Milana Yusypov (SDSU) - 6-0, 6-4
(5) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Esther Cadua (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-3
(6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Olivia Colman (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*, 4, 6, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive