2009 State Farm Pac-10 Tournament: Game Eight Notes
March 14, 2009
- This was the 6th Tournament matchup between the two schools. Stanford has won 5 of the 6 contests; the one UCLA win came in the 2006 title game.
- UCLA has dropped 3 of 4 Tournament semifinal games. All of the losses have come against Stanford.
- Stanford is now 21-2 in Tournament games. It will be playing in its 8th Tournament championship game, seeking its sixth title (5-2 record in previous seven).
- Stanford swept its three games with UCLA this season.
- Stanford made 9 of its first 12 field goal attempts (4-5 on three point attempts) and took a 22-9 lead at 13:05 of the 1st half.
- Stanford had 13 assists on its 16 first half field goals. Jeanette Pohlen led the Cardinal with 4. Its .714 (5-7) three point field goal percentage was 3rd best for a team in a Tournament half and its .593 (16-27) field goal percentage was 6th highest (tie) in a Tournament half.
- Stanford is 25-0 when leading at halftime.
- Stanford held UCLA without a field goal in the 2nd half until 12:22 remained.
- Cardinal F/C Jayne Appel scored the first 6 points of the 2nd half to give her 10 points for the game and her team a 39-21 lead. Appel now has 25 double figure scoring games on the season.
- Also scoring in double figures for Stanford in the game: Nnemkadi Ogwumike (16th time this season ), Jillian Harmon (14th), Rosalyn Gold-Onwude (2nd) and Sarah Boothe (9th). Ogwumike also had the third double-double of her career (5th double digit rebounding game).
- No Bruin scored in double figures for the first time this season.
- UCLA freshman guard Atonye Nyingifa grabbed 10 rebounds for the second night in a row, equaling her season/career high.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Now on Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder