No. 22 Sun Devil Women's Tennis Downs Purdue 7-0
March 17, 2009
Tempe, AZ--After a series of tough losses last week saw them drop from No. 14 in the rankings to No. 22 this week, a bruised but never broken Arizona State rallied back for a big win over 68th-ranked Purdue 7-0. The Devils are now 9-4 overall and 3-0 in the Pac-10 this season.
Doubles action started off a breeze, as No.58 Nadia Abdala and Laila Abdala blew past Purdue duo Michelle Sammons and Stephanie Wooten 8-2 on court one. In the number two spot Kelcy McKenna and Michelle Brycki battled it out against Remi Martin and Tatiana Ganzha and the ASU duo triumphed 8-6. On the number three court Ashlee Brown and Sianna Simmons took care of business, downing Jennifer Rabot and Anna Dushkina 8-6 for the Doubles point.
Singles action was also a successful showing for the Devils. In the number three spot Senior Laila Abdala knocked down Tatiana Ganzha 6-1, 6-1 followed up shortly by No. 42 Nadia Abdala who swiftly defeated Stephanie Wooten 6-2, 6-0 on court two. The junior is on fire after upsetting three ranked opponents last week. Sophomore Ali Van Horne held her own on court six, triumphing over Anna Dushkina 6-0, 6-1. In the number five spot Sianna Simmons put up a tough fight against Remi Martin and it showed, as Simmons conquered 6-1, 6-3. The Devils' Ashlee Brown kept up the pummeling of Purdue as she put away Jennifer Rabot 6-1, 6-2 in the number four spot. Court one was full of energy as No. 3 Kelcy McKenna battled it out against Michelle Sammons. McKenna dropped the first set 5-7 but refused to let up, coming back for the win 6-4, 10-3.
Arizona State Women's Tennis will return to action Saturday March 28th when they host with Sacramento State. Play begins 12:00 p.m. PT in Tempe at ASU's Whiteman Tennis Center.
ASU def. PUR 7-0
1. Nadia Abdala/Laila Abdala def. Michelle Sammons/Stephanie Wooten 8-2
2. Kelcy McKenna/Michelle Brycki def. Remi Martin/Tatiana Ganzha 8-6
3. Ashlee Brown/Sianna Simmons def. Jennifer Rabot/Anna Dushkina 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Kelcy McKenna def. Michelle Sammons 5-7, 6-4, 10-3
2. Nadia Abdala def. Stephanie Wooten 6-2, 6-0
3. Laila Abdala def. Tatiana Ganzha 6-1, 6-1
4. Ashlee Brown def. Jennifer Rabot 6-1, 6-2
5. Sianna Simmons def. Remi Martin 6-1, 6-3
6. Ali Van Horne def. Anna Dushkina 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 2, 1, 5, 4, 3