No. 10 USC Women Top San Diego 5-2
March 24, 2009
SAN DIEGO, CALIF. - The No. 10 USC women's tennis team kicked off the week on the road and is coming home with a 13-2 overall record as the Trojans ready themselves for Pac-10 competition this weekend. In San Diego today, USC tallied a 5-2 win over the No. 51 Toreros after taking an early lead in the match.
USC opened the match by capturing the doubles point thanks to a push from the No. 3 position to break a tie. USD got the first doubles win from the No. 2 position, but USC evened things on an 8-2 win at No. 1 by #10 Fink/Niculescu over Toreros Coupez/Mouly. Wrapping up the point for USC was Ramos/Sanchez at No. 3 in an 8-3 victory over Raygada/Perl to bring up singles competition with a 1-0 USC lead.
Opening up the singles run to victory was #26 Amanda Fink from her No. 2 slot. The senior pounded out a 6-0, 6-1 win over Samantha Mouly to make it 2-0 USC, and Leyla Entekhabi followed up in similar fashion with a decisive 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 5 over Alexandra Demidova. Securing the win for the Women of Troy was #25 Sarah Fansler at the No. 1 spot. Fansler tacked up a 6-3, 7-6 win over Juliette Coupez, and USC had the victory in the books just before USD got its first point of the match. At No. 4, Tammy Kevey edged out USC's #62 Alison Ramos in a third-set tiebreak for a 6-2, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (10-8) win that made it 4-1 USC. At No. 3, #58 Gabriela Niculescu gave USC some extra room with a 3-6, 7-6, 12-10 win over Maja Sujica, and the match wound down with the Toreros tallying one last point from the No. 6 position in Marite Raygada's 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 win over Lyndsay Kinstler.
USC now preps to open up Pac-10 competition at Marks Stadium this weekend. The Trojans will first host California at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (March 27) and then take on Stanford at 12 p.m. on Saturday (March 28).
#10 USC 5, #51 San Diego 2
USD West Tennis Court - San Diego, Calif.
(1) Niculescu-Fink (USC) def. Coupez-Mouly - 8-2
(2) Kevey-Sujica (USD) def. #53 Fansler-Kinstler - 8-3
(3) Sanchez-Ramos (USC) def. Raygada-Perl - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
(1) #25 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Juliette Coupez - 6-3, 7-6*
(2) #26 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Samantha Mouly - 6-0, 6-1
(3) #58 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Maja Sujica - 3-6, 7-6, 12-10
(4) Tammy Kevey (USD) def. #62 Alison Ramos - 6-2, 6-7 (3), 10-8
(5) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Alexandra Demidova - 6-2, 6-0
(6) Marite Raygada (USD) def. Lyndsay Kinstler - 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 5, 1*, 4, 3, 6