No. 11 Stanford Falls At No. 10 USC 5-2; Earns SoCal Split
March 28, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 10 USC picked up a 5-2 victory over No. 11 Stanford on Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles, claiming the edge in the Pac-10 race in the process after defeating California 4-3 yesterday.
With Saturday's win, the Trojans (15-2, 3-0 Pac-10) snapped a 50-match losing streak against Stanford. USC's last win over the Cardinal was a 6-3 decision back on Apr. 4, 1986, in Los Angeles.
Stanford (12-2, 3-1 Pac-10) notched a 6-1 win over No. 9 UCLA yesterday and was looking to complete a weekend sweep through Southern California and remain unbeaten in conference play. Instead, the Trojans protected their home court over the weekend with a sweep of the Bay Area schools and find themselves atop the Pac-10 standings.
The loss snapped a season-best seven-match winning streak for Stanford.
The Cardinal kicks off a six-match homestand with three contests next week, beginning with a non-conference match against Sacramento State on Wednesday, Apr. 1, at 1:30 p.m.
More details to follow.
No. 10 USC 5, No. 11 Stanford 2
1) No. 10 Fink/Niculescu (USC) d. No. 17 Barte/Burdette (STAN) 8-6
2) McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 53 Fansler/Kinstler (USC) 8-3
3) Ramos/Cristala Andrews (USC) d. Hansen/Li (STAN) 8-4
1) No. 14 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 25 Sarah Fansler (USC) 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 26 Amanda Fink (USC) d. Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 6-0, 6-3
3) No. 98 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 58 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) 7-5, 6-2
4) No. 62 Alison Ramos (USC) d. Veronica Li (STAN) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
5) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) d. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) 6-2, 6-4
6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) d. Logan Hansen (STAN) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Sat 5/25 | 4:00pm PTLive