No. 21 Huskies Fall Just Short At No. 6 USC
April 3, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The Husky men's tennis team pushed the 6th-ranked USC Trojans to the limit this afternoon in Los Angeles, but came up just shy in a 4-3 loss. 21st-ranked Washington was forced to make due without their top player, Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan, who was out due to illness. The Huskies fall to 12-6 on the year and 1-1 in Pac-10 play while the Trojans improve to 16-4 and 3-0.
Senior Patrik Fischer had an outstanding day for the Huskies, stepping into the No. 1 singles spot in place of Nedunchezhiyan. Fischer upset 74th-ranked Jaak Poldma in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, for his fourth win over a ranked opponent this year. He also teamed with sophomore Tobi Obenaus for an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles, although USC would capture the doubles point with wins at first and third doubles.
The Trojans took a 3-0 lead following doubles play and a pair of wins at third and fourth singles before Washington battled back. Fischer's win was followed by senior Ryo Sekiguchi notching a 6-3, 6-2 win over Jason McNaughton in the No. 6 singles spot to make the score 3-2.
At No. 2 singles, sophomore Martin Kildahl was locked in a close match with 83rd-ranked Abdullah Magdas, last week's Pac-10 Player of the Week. Magdas pulled out the first set, 7-5, and clinched the victory for USC by edging Kildahl in the second set, 6-4.
After the match was clinched, Obenaus came through at No. 5 singles in a third-set super-tiebreak. After losing the first set, 7-5, to Daniel Nguyen, Obenaus leveled the match with a 6-4 second set win, and then won the deciding tiebreak, 11-9, to make the final score 4-3.
Washington will have another challenge in store tomorrow, as they visit 9th-ranked UCLA for a 1 p.m. dual.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 3, 2009 - Los Angeles, Calif.
Marks Tennis Stadium
No. 6 USC 4, No. 21 Washington 3
1) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Drabble/Kildahl (UW), 8-4
2) Fischer/Obenaus (UW) def. Johnson/Poldma (USC), 8-6
3) Kells/Kecki (USC) def. Chu/Sekiguchi (UW), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1) (113) Patrik Fischer (UW) def. (74) Jaak Poldma (USC), 6-2, 6-4
2) (83) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Martin Kildahl (UW), 7-5, 6-4
3) (67) Steve Johnson (USC) def. David Chu (UW), 6-1, 6-1
4) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-3, 6-1
5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Daniel Nguyen (USC), 5-7, 6-4, (11-9)
6) Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Jason McNaughton (USC), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 4, 1, 6, 2, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive