No. 18 Arizona Falls to No. 6 USC, 7-0
April 10, 2009
The No. 18 Arizona men's tennis team traveled to Los Angeles, Calif. hoping to get back on winning track. Unfortunately, the No. 6 USC Trojans had other plans as they beat the visiting Wildcats 7-0.
The Wildcats (17-4, 2-3) lost the doubles point losing two matches, while the third match did not finish. This marked the third straight match where Arizona fell behind 1-0 early.
For Arizona, the No. 80 doubles team of Francois VanderMerwe and Pat Metham faced their biggest test of the season taking on the No. 6 doubles team of Robert Farah and Steve Johnson. While VanderMerwe and Metham battled, it was not enough as they fell 8-6 to the Trojans. This was the fourth straight doubles match the VanderMerwe and Metham have lost in the top spot.
In singles, for sophomore Jay Goldman he faced his toughest opponent of the season in No. 4 Robert Farah. Goldman started out slow losing the first set 6-1, but regrouped and won the second set 7-6 (9-7). However, in the third set Goldman lost the super tiebreak 10-4, falling just short of the upset.
Junior Andres Arango also had his hands full as he took on No. 75 Abdullah Magdas. After falling behind early, Arango battled back to send the match into the third set where he was looking for the upset. Back-and-forth the scores went until Magdas was able to hang on with a 6-4, 6-7, 14-12 win.
Freshman Ola Bakke appeared for the fifth time this season in singles playing Jason McNaughton in position No. 6. Bakke struggled and never really got a feel for his game as he lost in straight sets 6-0, 6-2.
Arizona will have little time to think about the lose as they will take on another top 10 team, No. 9 UCLA, tomorrow Saturday April 11, at 1:00 p.m. Tucson time.
1) No.6 Robert Farah/Steve Johnson (USC) def. No. 80 Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) 8-6
2) Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) vs. Abdullah Magdas/Daniel Nguyen (USC) DNF
3) Matt Kecki/Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi (UA) 8-3
1) No. 4 Robert Farah (USC) def. No. 68 Jay Goldman (UA) 6-1, 6-7(9-7), 10-4
2) No. 75 Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Andres Arango (UA) 6-4, 6-7, 14-12
3) No. 92 Steve Johnson (USC) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 5-7, 6-4 1-0 default
4) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 6-1, 6-0
5) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Pat Metham (UA) 6-4, 6-4*
6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Ola Bakke (UA) 6-0, 6-2
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive