No. 12 Stanford Drops Regular Season Finale At No. 8 Cal, 4-3
April 18, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 12 Stanford suffered its fourth defeat of the year on Saturday afternoon, dropping a 4-3 decision to No. 8 California in Berkeley in the regular season finale for both teams.
With the win, California (17-4, 7-1 Pac-10) avenged a 4-3 road loss back on Mar. 7 to even the season series. While Stanford's thrilling victory last month kept its home winning streak (currently at 149 matches in a row) in tact, that match did not count toward the Pac-10 standings.
Saturday's result does, and that ensures California finishes with a better Pac-10 record than Stanford (17-4, 6-2 Pac-10). It also means that the Cardinal's dominating run of 21 consecutive Pac-10 titles comes to an end, as USC finished unbeaten in league play with a win over UCLA yesterday.
The loss was just Stanford's second in the last 14 games. Couple that with the fact Stanford has been ranked among the country's top-15 throughout the year and the Cardinal remains a lock for postseason play even despite the uncharacteristic losses.
Stanford actually took the early 1-0 edge, capturing the doubles point on the strength of victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 spots. The team of Logan Hansen and Veronica Li held on for a 9-7 win on court three to control doubles.
Hilary Barte, now ranked No. 9 in the country, continued her exceptional play and registered a win at No. 1, toying with eighth-ranked Jana Juricova 6-3, 6-1 and improving her overall record to 28-4 in the process. Now riding a 10-match winning streak, Barte is inching closer to surpassing the 30 wins she recorded last year as a rookie en route to earn All-America honors.
California answered back with three straight singles wins to claim a 3-2 edge. Stephany Chang's 6-2, 7-6 (3) win over Hansen at the No. 6 position represented the Golden Bears' third point of the match.
Next up for Stanford is the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., from Apr. 23-26.
No. 8 California 4, No. No. 12 Stanford 3
1) No. 10 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. No. 5 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) 8-4
2) No. 22 Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) d. No. 46 McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) 8-5
3) Hansen/Li (STAN) d. Bobusic/Chang (CAL) 9-7
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 9 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 8 Jana Juricova (CAL) 6-3, 6-1
2) No. 27 Marina Cossou (CAL) d. No. 89 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2
3) No. 36 Mari Andersson (CAL) d. No. 82 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
4) No. 49 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) d. Veronica Li (STAN) 6-2, 6-1
5) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. No. 26 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) 7-6(3), 7-5
6) Stephany Chang (CAL) d. Logan Hansen (STAN) 6-2, 7-6(3)
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4, 6, 5, 2
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive