Men's Golf Headed To Texas For NCAA Regional
May 4, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - The fifth-ranked Stanford men's golf team is headed to Austin, Texas for NCAA Regional play, as the Cardinal received the top seed of qualifying tournament that will be held at the University of Texas Golf Club from May 14-16. The low five teams and low individual not on those teams from each of the six regionals will advance to the 2009 NCAA Championship in Toledo, Ohio.
Each of the six regionals are 56-hole, three-day tournaments. Thirteen teams and ten individuals not on those teams will compete at each of three regionals, including the Austin Regional, while the other three regionals will have 14 teams and five individuals not on those teams.
The preliminary action will produce 30 teams and six individuals that will compete for the NCAA title from May 26-30 at the Inverness Club, hosted by the University of Toledo.
Listed below are the teams and individuals selected to participate in the Austin Regional Championship. Teams winning automatic qualification are designated by their conferences in parentheses. For a complete listing of all teams competing in all six regionals, please click here.
Teams (seeded in the following order):
1. No. 5 Stanford
2. No. 8 Florida
3. No. 19 Texas Tech
4. No. 25 Texas
5. No. 21 UNLV
6. No. 32 California
7. No. 34 Lamar (Southland Conference)
8. No. 48 Michigan
9. No. 53 Texas-Arlington
10. No. 61 Virginia Tech
11. No. 58 Mississippi State
12. No. 82 New Mexico State (Western Athletic Conference)
13. Jackson State (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
1. Glenn Northcutt, Auburn
2. Ken Looper, New Orleans
3. Cole Moreland, Auburn
4. Adam Cornelson, New Orleans
5. Cedric Scotto, Southeastern Louisiana
6. Jeff Gerlich, Texas State
7. Matthew Carvell, Southeastern Louisiana
8. Corey Roberson, Texas State
9. Fergal Rafferty, Sam Houston
10. Gonzalo Berlin, Jacksonville State