Cats Advance to Second Round
May 8, 2009
In their first NCAA Tournament since 2006, the No. 24 Arizona men's tennis team showed no signs of being nervous as they dominated the No. 56 Texas A & M-Corpus Christi Islanders in the first round.
The Wildcats (18-5, 2-4) looked sharp after not participating in actual match setting since they conclude the regular season against No. 9 UCLA on April 11.
'We knew that Corpus Christi was a good team,' head coach Tad Berkowitz said after the match. 'We knew it was going to be a dog fight. Honestly, I thought that we came back to win that doubles point, which was huge for us. It kind of carried us through to the start of singles. We had some confidence singles wise, but we weren't sure how doubles was going to go. Once we stuck that point out, it just gave us a lot of confidence. Our guys loosened up and relaxed. We came out hot in the beginning of the singles matches. It was a hot day. It was key for us to get off to a big start, which we did. We won five of the first six sets and that was huge.'
Arizona took an early 1-0 lead when they won two of the three double matches. Jay Goldman and Pat Metham defeated Laurent Montoisy and Jose Zunino 8-5 on position No. 2. The duo of Andres Carrasco and Francois VanderMerwe clinched the doubles point when they defeated James Langford and David Pace 9-9 (7-2) on position No. 3.
Goldman gave the Wildcats a 2-0 lead when he dominated Mikhail Pavlov 6-0, 6-3 on position No. 1. For Goldman it was his 13th singles victory at position No.1 on the season.
Then fellow sophomore Andres Carrasco gave Arizona a commanding 3-0 lead when he defeated Laurent Montoisy 6-2, 6-1 on position No. 3. With the win, Carrasco now has 19 single victories on the season, best on the team.
Arizona clinched the victory when junior Andres Arango defeated Dmitry Novikov 6-2, 6-2 on position No. 2.
With the win, the Wildcats advance to the second round for the second time in school history. The only time Arizona advanced to the second round was in 2004.
Up Next: Arizona will take on the winner of the Binghamton vs. Texas A & M match tomorrow May 9, at 4:00 p.m.
1) No. 61 Dmitry Novikov/Mikhail Pavlov (TAMCC) def. Andres Arango/Ravid Hazi (UA) 8-4
2) Jay Goldman/Pat Metham (UA) def. Laurent Montoisy/Jose Zunino (TAMCC) 8-5
3) Andres Carrasco/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) def. James Langford/David Pace (TAMCC) 9-9 (7-2)
1) No. 61 Jay Goldman (UA) def. Mikhail Pavlov (TAMCC) 6-0, 6-3
2) Andres Arango (UA) leads Dmitry Novikov (TAMCC) 6-2, 6-2*
3) Andres Carrasco (UA) leads Laurent Montoisy (TAMCC) 6-2, 6-2
4) Ravid Hazi (UA) vs. Jose Zunino (TAMCC) DNF
5) Pat Metham (UA) vs. Jaume Farras (TAMCC) DNF
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) vs. James Langford (TAMCC) DNF
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 1, 3, 2*
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/17 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive