Minnesota Downs New Mexico, 4-0, In NCAA First Round Men's Tennis
May 8, 2009
Minnesota, in its 21st NCAA appearance, defeated New Mexico, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Men's Tennis first-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Friday (May 8).
The Gophers improved to 19-7 and advanced to the second round, where they'll play the winner of the USC-UC Santa Barbara match. Minnesota is in the midst of its greatest one-year turnaround after finishing 2008 at 7-17. New Mexico ended its season at 20-6.
Phil Arndt and Ishay Hadash got the Gophers off to a good start, downing New Mexico's Graeme Kassautski and Joe Wood, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles. The Gophers then clinched the doubles point when Sebastian Gallego and Julian Dehn downed Ben Dunbar and Carl Ho, 8-4. The Lobos' Miles Bugby and Johnny Parkes were ahead of Tobias Wernet and Michael Sicora, 7-6, when action was suspended.
Minnesota's No. 4 singles Dino Bilankov was the first Gopher to add to the lead when he downed Dunbar, 6-4, 6-1. Soon after Dehn, at No. 5 singles, downed Lobo Phil Anderson, 6-2, 6-3, to put the Gophers ahead 3-0. Dehn won five straight games to close out the second set.
While the sets were split on courts 1, 2 and 6, all eyes turned to Gallego at No. 3 singles. Gallego took the first set 6-0, but Bugby made the second set a battle. Gallego, however, was able to end the match before a Lobo rally started, clinching the match with a 6-4 second set.
(1) Tobias Wernet-Michael Sciora (Minn) vs. Miles Bugby-Johnny Parkes (UNM), 6-7, susp.
(2) Phil Arndt-Ishay Hadash (Minn) def. Graeme Kassautzki-Joe Wood (UNM), 8-4
(3) Sebastian Gallego-Julian Dehn (Minn) def. Ben Dunbar-Carl Ho (UNM), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,3
(1) Ishay Hadash (Minn) vs. Johnny Parkes (UNM), 6-7 (4-7), 3-0 susp.
(2) Tobias Wernet (Minn) vs. Graeme Kassutzki (UNM), 6-1, 4-6, 1-1 susp.
(3) Sebastian Gallego (Minn) def. Miles Bugby (UNM), 6-0, 6-4
(4) Dino Bilankov (Minn) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM), 6-4, 6-1
(5) Julian Dehn (Minn) def. Phil Anderson (UNM), 6-2, 6-3
(6) Phil Arndt (Minn) vs. Carl Ho (UNM), 6-2, 4-6 susp.
Order of Finish: 4,5,3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive