No Shocker Here: No. 13 Stanford Routs Wichita State 4-0, Runs Home Win Streak To 150
May 9, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 13 Stanford cruised to a 4-0 shutout of unranked Wichita State on Saturday afternoon in the opening round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Making its 28th consecutive postseason appearance, the Cardinal (18-4, 6-2 Pac-10) quickly claimed the doubles point and locked up three easy singles wins against the overmatched Shockers (21-6, 8-0 Missouri Valley).
It was a familiar outcome for Stanford, which has now won 150 dual matches in a row (121 regular season + 29 NCAA Tournament) on its home court- a streak that spans 10 years and is recognized as the longest of any sport in Division I athletics. The Cardinal has not suffered a home loss since Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Stanford, which has now won 13 of its last 15 matches, also improved to 108-13 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
For the 18th time in 22 matches this season, Stanford captured the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. The Cardinal's top-ranked duo of Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette coasted to an 8-2 win at the No. 1 spot, before the No. 2 team of Carolyn McVeigh and Jessica Nguyen posted an 8-1 victory.
Leading 1-0, Stanford proceeded to ambush Wichita State in singles.
Nguyen dispatched of Torrie Browning 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 position before Barte improved to 18-2 in home matches with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Anna Egorova.
McVeigh provided the clincher on court five, winning her 26th match of the year with a 6-4, 6-1 defeat of Lenore Lazaroiu.
Stanford will face No. 25 LSU in the second round tomorrow at 1 p.m., with a berth to next weekend's NCAA Championships in College Station, Texas, on the line.
No. 13 Stanford 4, Wichita State 0
(1) No. 8 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Egorova/Budiharto (WICH) 8-2
(2) No. 38 McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. Dalmacio/Hanisch (WICH) 8-1
(3) Browning/Lazaroiu (WICH) led Hansen/Li (STAN) 5-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) No. 7 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Anna Egorova (WICH) 6-3, 6-2
(2) No. 88 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) led Lutfiana Budiharto (WICH) 7-5, 3-0, susp.
(3) No. 73 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Torrie Browning (WICH) 6-1, 6-1
(4) Veronica Li (STAN) led Stephanie Dalmacio (WICH) 6-3, 4-1, susp.
(5) No. 101 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Lenore Lazaroiu (WICH) 6-4, 6-1
(6) Logan Hansen (STAN) led Florentina Hanisch (WICH) 6-2, 5-6, susp.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5