UW Upsets USC In NCAA Second Round
May 10, 2009
USC, a No. 7 seed making its 18th consecutive NCAA appearance, was upset by upstart Washington, 4-3, in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis second-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Sunday (May 10).
The Trojans fell to 21-3, their 13-match win streak ending. Washington, which lost to USC 4-3 earlier this season in one of USC's closest matches, improves to 18-7 and advances to the Round of 16, where it will face South Carolina.
Washington captured the doubles point thanks first to the work of Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy, who dispatched of USC's Sarah Fansler and Lyndsay Kinstler, 8-1. The Huskies' Venise Chan and Aleksandra Malovic went up 7-0 against Troy's Alison Ramos and Maria Sanchez before the Trojan doubles pair rallied to within 7-4. But the USC tandem could not complete the comeback, ultimately falling 8-4.
Smith got the best of Ramos at No. 4 singles, beating the Trojan freshman, 6-1, 6-2, to give Washington a 2-0 lead. Sophomore Leyla Entekhabi then got USC on the scoreboard at No. 5 singles, beating Ardies, 6-4, 6-2.
The No. 6 singles matchup of Kinstler and Malovic featured a ton of back-and-forth action, each player routinely staving off multiple game points. Ultimately, Malovic outlasted the Trojan sophomore, downing her 6-3, 6-4 to put the Huskies ahead 3-1.
As Kinstler fell, USC junior Sarah Fansler was in the midst of a second set tiebreak at No. 3 singles. After winning the first set 6-4, she fell behind in set two, but forced a tiebreak. She trailed 3-0 and 4-2 in the tiebreak, but rallied for a 9-7 win to take the match 6-4, 7-6, and keep USC in the match, down 3-2.
Everyone's attention then turned to courts 1 and 2, where both Sanchez and Chan as well as Fink and Dy were locked in third sets. In both cases, the Husky player took the first set with the Trojan taking the second.
Down 1-2 early in the third set, Fink took control and tied the match for the Trojans with a 2-6, 7-5, 6-3.
Sanchez was leading in her third set as Fink tied the match at 3-3. Chan trailed 5-2 against Sanchez, but was able to tie the match at both 5-5 and at 6-6 to force a tiebreaker. Chan controlled the decisive breaker to win the match for the Huskies, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-2).
(1) Sarah Fansler-Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) lost to Joyce Ardies-Denise Dy (UW), 1-8
(2) Alison Ramos-Maria Sanchez (USC) lost to Venise Chan-Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 4-8
(3) Cristala Andrews-Amanda Fink (USC) vs. Samantha Smith-Lina Xu (UW), 6-6, susp.
Order of Finish: 1,2
(1) Maria Sanchez (USC) lost to Venise Chan (UW), 4-6, 6-3, 6-7 (2-7)
(2) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Denise Dy (UW), 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
(3) Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Lina Xu (UW), 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
(4) Alison Ramos (USC) lost to Samantha Smith (UW), 1-6, 2-6
(5) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-4, 6-2
(6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) lost to Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 3-6, 4-6
Order of Finish: 4,5,6,3,2,1