Weather Hampers Huskies At NCAA Men's Golf

May 27, 2009

Quotes | Photo Gallery 


TOLEDO, Ohio - Despite a second-straight week with a significant weather delay, the University of Washington men's golf team overcame a sluggish start to remain within striking distance of the leaders after the second round of the NCAA Championships at Inverness Club.

The Huskies improved their performance by seven strokes over yesterday's first round score by shooting a two-over-par 286, which was the fifth-best round among the 15 teams that completed the entire 18-hole course. The remaining 15 teams that did not finish today are expected to complete approximately one-half of the second round, then will finish any remaining holes beginning at 6:45 a.m. (Eastern).

Following the conclusion of the first half of the field, Washington sat in a tie for eighth-place in the team standings. The top eight teams following Wednesday's third, and final, round will advance to the quarterfinals of match play that will determine the NCAA team champion. The individual medalist for the tournament will be determined following tomorrow's final round of full-field competition.

UW junior Nick Taylor shot a one-under-par 70 in the second round and, at two-under-par for the tournament, is tied for fourth among players that finished the round. Russell Henley from Georgia Tech and Matt Hill from North Carolina State tied for the lead at four-under-par (among players who completed 18 holes).

Richard Lee shot even-par to remain at plus-five for the tournament. Darren Wallace shot one-over-par to drop to just two-over-par for the two rounds. Chris Killmer was two-over and is plus-six for the tournament, while Tze Huang Choo battled to a five-over-par to move to plus-11.

'I don't think we shot ourselves out of it,' said head coach Matt Thurmond. 'Unfortunately, I think we distanced ourselves a little bit in the wrong direction from the leaders. But, they are still within reach.'

The Huskies made tremendous strides in its goal of improving its scoring on holes three-through six from the previous day. On Tuesday, every UW player faltered on those three holes. As a team today, Washington went plus-six on those four holes - meaning they shot just one-over-par on the remaining 14 holes (counting every player's strokes - only the top four are counted in the actual team scoring).

The Huskies were one-under-par on the day heading into holes 13-15 when play was suspended at 11:35 a.m. due to several mid-size storm cells that surrounded the area. The players were taken to the clubhouse during the delay that featured rain, thunder and some lightning. Following a four-hour delay, the players were returned to the exact shot they left and each team completed the round. Washington went two-over-par to complete the round.

UW players and coaches spent the evening enjoing a team dinner with athletic director Scott Woodward and retired early for the evening. As of 8:15 p.m., the team had not been officially notified of its tee time for Thursday's final round. It is expected to start at approximately 10 a.m.

'We just need to clean it up a little bit for tomorrow,' said junior Chris Killmer. 'If we play Washington golf, we should be able to finish near the leaders tomorrow.'

Now on Pac-12 Network
12:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
  • Inside Pac-12 Basketball: NBA Draft Special
    TODAY | 9:00pm PT

    Airing on:

    • Pac-12 Oregon
    • Pac-12 Network
    • Pac-12 Arizona
    • Pac-12 Bay Area
    • Pac-12 Los Angeles
    • Pac-12 Washington
    • Pac-12 Mountain
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder