Huskies Battle No. 4 UCLA To 1-1 Draw

Oct. 4, 2009

Box Score

SEATTLE - The Washington men's soccer team battled No. 4 UCLA to a 1-1 draw Sunday at Husky Soccer Field, out-shooting the Bruins, 19-11, but falling just shy of the upset victory.

The Huskies, who battled San Diego State to a scoreless draw in their Pac-10 opener on Friday, are now 3-4-3 overall and 0-0-2 in Pac-10 while UCLA is 6-1-1 overall and 1-0-1 in conference.

UW fell behind early in the game when UCLA's Kyle Nakazawa sent in a free kick in the 8th minute from 25 yards out that curled just over the head of a diving Rylan Hawkins. It was Nakazawa's seventh goal in eight games this season for the Bruins.

While the teams played fairly evenly through the first 45 minutes, with each team taking three shots, the Huskies went on the attack in the second half and controlled the run of play. UW took 13 second-half shots to just six for the Bruins but it was an own goal by UCLA that finally evened the match. In the 50th minute, Jamie Finch sent in a cross from the left side which got past both Brent Richards and Matt Van Houten who were in the box, but the ball deflected off UCLA defender Danny Suits and into the back of the net for the equalizer.

The Huskies had several big chances to win the match late, but the crossbar and post - along with a clutch play by Suits - denied them the victory.

Suits made up for his own goal with a goal line save in the 84th minute after Richards got past UCLA goalkeeper Brian Rowe and sent a header towards goal, but Suits was able to knock it back into play just before it crossed the line. Ryan Moore's follow-up shot was saved by Rowe, one of six he made in the match.

The Bruins also had a scoring opportunity late in regulation when Nakazawa had a good look at the goal, but Hawkins made a huge save to keep the senior from scoring his second goal in the match.

The teams went into overtime where Husky freshman Ryan Moore - who was all over the field throughout the day - had a pair of chances. His best look came in the second overtime when his header hit the crossbar, just missing out on the golden goal.

Hawkins made one last save late in the second overtime to preserve the tie, one of five he made in the match.

Moore led the Huskies with seven shots while Richards had four looks at the goal.

'We were unlucky, a little like Friday night. We took the game to them and had a couple great chances but the breaks went both ways a little today,' Washington head coach Dean Wurzberger said. 'The wind and conditions made it tricky but I'm proud of the guys. I'm impressed that they continue to move forward. We have all the pieces in place. We defended very well, our midfield controlled the match, we just need to finish and that's something we'll work on. Their guy hit a world class free kick but we didn't drop our heads. We kept working and put pressure on them in the second half. You have to bring the game to them and unsettle them and I think we were effective in throwing them off and leveling the field a little for us. Everyone who played in this game gave their all and I'm proud of the effort. At the end of the day that's all we can ask for.'

UW hits the road next weekend for a pair of tough conference matches in the Bay Area. The Huskies face No.6 California on Friday at 4 p.m. and No. 17 Stanford on Sunday at 1 p.m.

NCAA Men's Soccer
Washington 1, UCLA 1 (2 ot)
Husky Soccer Field; Seattle, Wash.

Scoring - 1, UCLA, Kyle Nakazawa (unassisted), 7:48. 2, UW, own goal, 49:36.
Shots - UW 19, UCLA 11
Corners - UW 5, UCLA 5
Saves - UW 5 (Rylan Hawkins), UCLA 6 (Brian Rowe).
Fouls - UW 14, UCLA 12
Offsides - UW 3, UCLA 2
Attendance - 1912

Now on Pac-12 Network
11:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder