Huskies Tie No. 17 Stanford To Stay Unbeaten In Pac-10

Oct. 11, 2009

Box Score

PALO ALTO, Calif. - The Washington men's soccer team picked up another crucial point and stayed unbeaten in Pac-10 play on Sunday, grinding out a 1-1 tie with No. 17/23 Stanford at Cagan Stadium to complete an impressive weekend on the road.

The Huskies (4-4-4, 1-0-3) have played six overtime games this season and have played seven teams either currently ranked or ranked at the time of their game, including their last three matches. They earned a huge 2-0 victory on Friday over No. 5 California and battled a tough Stanford team (7-2-1, 1-1-1) on Sunday, fighting against tired legs and spirits after an emotional game on Friday.

'It was a very brave effort by our team. I'm very proud of what happened today. Revving it up a second time after the size of the win we had Friday was a challenge,' Washington head coach Dean Wurzberger said. 'We gave it everything we had. No question, the match took a lot out of us on Friday. But we called upon all the reserves that we had available to try and win the game. We didn't lose it and those are the kind of results you need when you slug it out on the road. '

The Huskies, who stayed unbeaten on the road this season at 3-0-2, fell behind early when Stanford's Bobby Warshaw scored just four minutes into the match, heading the ball in off a corner kick from Ryan Thomas.

But the Huskies came right back and scored the equalizer in the 16th minute when freshman Ryan Moore settled a pass from Brent Richards inside the box and fired a shot into the back of the net for his fourth goal of the season. The Huskies' top-two scorers, Moore and the sophomore Richards have now combined for 22 of UW's 36 points this season.

After the teams took just three shots each in the first half, both sides went on the attack in a back-and-forth second half with the Cardinal taking 12 shots to nine by the Huskies, but UW goalkeeper Rylan Hawkins made three saves in the half to send it into overtime.

After Stanford held a 2-1 shot advantage in the first overtime, the Huskies took control in the final 10 minutes, firing four shots and hold the Cardinal without one, but Stanford's defense and their goalkeeper John Moore were able to hang on for the draw. Moore made six saves in the match while Hawkins made four.

'We were flat-footed early and they made us pay but we responded and really turned the game back our way by coming back and equalizing. It was very important to answer back right away,' Wurzberger said. 'We really went for it in overtime and we tried to win it but we came away with four of a possible six points on the road trip so it was an incredible trip overall. I'm very proud of our effort. We played every reserve player we had except for our reserve goalkeeper and people were on their last legs trying to cope with Stanford's frequent subbing. They really tried to wear us down physically buy we hung with them and I'm very proud of that.'

The Huskies stay on the road next week for the final game of the Pac-10's first half, traveling to Corvallis, Ore., to face Oregon State on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m.

Pac-10 Men's Soccer
Washington 1, Stanford 1 (2 OT)
Cagan Stadium; Palo Alto, Calif.

Scoring - 1, STAN, Bobby Warshaw (Ryan Thomas), 3:56. 2, UW, Ryan Moore (Brent Richards), 15:12.
Shots - UW 17, STAN 17
Corners - UW 3, STAN 10
Saves - UW 4 (Rylan Hawkins), STAN 6 (John Moore).
Fouls - UW 10, STAN 14
Offsides - UW 2, STAN 0
Attendance - 545

Now on Pac-12 Network
12:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network