Trojans Go To 5-0 With Sweep Of UC Irvine
Feb. 2, 2010
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 1 USC men's tennis team rolled on in the early goings of 2010 with another home victory at Marks Stadium. The Trojans played host to UC Irvine on Tuesday afternoon, and peeled out ahead of the visiting Anteaters for a final 7-0 decision. Freshman JT Sundling took the court in his first dual-match singles appearance as a Trojan, and went ahead and clinched the victory for USC with his win out of the No. 6 position. USC improves to 5-0 overall with today's win.
USC chugged right through doubles play with some newer pairings in the lineup. Robert Farah / JT Sundling rumbled to an 8-1 win at No. 2 to start things off, and Peter Lucassen / Jaak Poldma clinched the point with an 8-4 win at No. 3. At No. 1, Steve Johnson / Daniel Nguyen rounded it all out with an 8-5 win at No. 1 to bring up the singles action.
Robert Farah was the first Trojan to finish up in singles play, powering to a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 over Fabian Mathews. Steve Johnson was next in line with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Sam Gould at the No. 2 slot, setting up JT Sundling for his 6-4, 7-5 clincher over Steven Henderson at No. 6. USC added to its winning tally with Peter Lucassen's 6-3, 6-2 win over Zac Tsai at No. 4, with Matt Kecki pinning up the next USC point on a 7-5, 6-2 win over Steven Stege at No. 5. That left Jaak Poldma and UCI's Shimpei Suzuki going into a third set tiebreak. Poldma fought back from a first-set deficit with a tiebreak in the second and managed a 5-7, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (10-7) victory over Suzuki to close out the match as a 7-0 USC sweep.
The top-ranked Trojans continue their home stand with another match at Marks Stadium later in the week. USC hosts San Diego in a 1:30 p.m. match on Friday (Feb. 5) in former USC assistant coach Brett Masi's return to Troy as the head coach of the Toreros.
#1 USC vs. UC Irvine
Feb. 2, 2010 - Marks Stadium
(1) Johnson/Nguyen (USC) def. Henderson/Tsai (UCI) - 8-5
(2) Farah/Sundling (USC) def. Gould/Issara (UCI) - 8-1
(3) Lucassen/Poldma (USC) def. Kazzarian/Northcott (UCI) - 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Fabian Mathews (UCI) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Sam Gould (UCI) - 6-2, 6-4
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Shimpei Suzuki (UCI) - 5-7, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (10-7)
(4) Peter Lucassen (USC) def. Zac Tsai (UCI) - 6-3, 6-2
(5) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Steven Stege (UCI) - 7-5, 6-2
(6) JT Sundling (USC) def. Steven Henderson (UCI) - 6-4, 7-5*
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 4, 5, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive