Wildcats Come Up Short in Texas
Feb. 27, 2010
LUBBOCK, Texas – The University of Arizona men’s tennis team dropped their second consecutive match this weekend at the McLeod Tennis Center. After winning the doubles point, the No. 25 Wildcats fell in the single’s competition in a close match today to No. 49 Denver University 4-3.
“This was a challenging weekend for us,” said head coach Tad Berkowitz. “We will learn from this which will hopefully make us stronger down the road.”
The Wildcats (6-3) won the close doubles point to begin the match. On court three the duo of Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco took down the Pioneers’ Fabio Biasion and Enej Bonin 8-2. But Denver’s pair of David Simson and Andrew Landwerlen defeated the Wildcats on court one. Simson and Landwerlen won a close match against junior Borja Malo and senior Pat Metham 8-5. The final point came down to a court two tiebreaker. Geoff Embry and Ravid Hazi sealed the point for the second consecutive match in a row. The duo topped Denver’s Yannick Weihs and Jens Vorkefeld 9-8 (16-14) to clinch the doubles point for Arizona.
In single’s competition the Pioneers (8-1) bounced back and won four out the six matches. Texas Tech tied the match 1-1 after Landwerlen defeated Metham 6-4, 6-1 on court six. On court two, Carrasco downed Biasion 6-2, 6-1 to help the Wildcats go up 2-1. The Pioneers tied it again after Embry was defeated on court five by Vorkefeld in two sets 6-2, 6-2. Texas Tech gained the lead after sophomore Jason Zafiros fell to Bonin 6-3, 6-3. Arango helped the Wildcats tie it back up at 3-3 following his win against Simson 6-3, 6-3. The win however went to the Pioneers after they clinched the win on court one. Junior Jay Goldman lost a close match to Weihs 7-6 (7-3), 6-1.
The Wildcats return home next weekend to face Santa Clara on Friday, March 5 at 1 p.m. and Nebraska on Sunday, March 7 at noon.
No. 25 Arizona vs. No. 49 Denver Results
Denver 4, Arizona 3
1. Yannick Weihs (DEN) def. Jay Goldman (UA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1*
2. Andres Arango (UA) def. David Simson (DEN) 6-3, 6-3
3. Enej Bonin (DEN) def. Jason Zafiros (UA) 6-3, 6-3
4. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Fabio Biasion (DEN) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) def. Geoff Embry (UA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrew Landwerlen (DEN) def. Pat Metham (UA) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,4,5,3,2,1
1. David Simson/Andrew Landwerlen (DEN) def. Borja Malo/Pat Metham (ZONA) 8-5
2. Geoff Embry/Ravid Hazi (ZONA) def. Yannick Weihs/Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) 9-8 (16-14)
3. Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (ZONA) def. Fabio Biasion/Enej Bonin (DEN) 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2