Huskies Get Big Road Win At Long Beach State
Feb. 28, 2010
LONG BEACH, Calif. - The 18th-ranked Husky women's tennis squad picked up a key road win over a Top-50 opponent today, stifling No. 43 Long Beach State 6-1 at the Rhodes Tennis Center. Washington wraps up its non-conference schedule with an 8-1 mark and heads into Pac-10 play at home next weekend hosting the Arizona schools.
Today Washington prevailed with excellent singles play coming after a tight doubles point win. Starting in doubles, the Huskies got two 9-7 wins at No. 1 and No. 3 to counter a 9-8 loss at the No. 2 spot. Sixth-ranked Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy got the win at No. 1 over Jaklin Alawi and Rachel Manasse to improve to 9-0 for the year. Aleksandra Malovic and Lina Xu had the No. 3 doubles win to help clinch the point.
Starting at the top, 14th-ranked junior Venise Chan was on her game in a 6-2, 6-4 win over Anais Dallara at No. 1 singles. Right behind her at the No. 2 spot, 4th-ranked Dy split the first two sets with Alawi but then rolled in the third for a 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 win.
Long Beach State's only point came at No. 3 singles where Xu fell in three sets to Deborah Armstrong. But another three-setter went to UW at fourth singles where Samantha Smith scored comeback 4-6, 6-4, (10-8) win over Manasse. Smith is now a team-best 8-1 in dual matches.
UW's two senior starters had straight set victories at the five and six spots. Joyce Ardies defeated Anna Jeczmionka, 6-2, 6-4 while Malovic fought through Sarah Cantlay 7-6 (4), 6-2.
The Huskies will kick off conference play this coming Friday, March 5, hosting 50th-ranked Arizona at 12 noon. The next day, No. 31 Arizona State will be in town for another noon start time. Both matches will be outdoors if possible at the Quillian Courts.
Washington Women's Tennis
February 28, 2010 - Long Beach, Calif.
Rhodes Tennis Center
No. 18 Washington 6, No. 43 Long Beach State 1
1. (6) Ardies/Dy (UW) def. (60) Alawi/Manasse (LBSU), 9-7
2. Armstrong/Dallara (LBSU) def. Chan/Smith (UW), 9-8 (3)
3. Malovic/Xu (UW) def. Cantlay/Jeczmionka (LBSU), 9-7
1. (14) Venise Chan (UW) def. Anais Dallara (LBSU), 6-2, 6-4
2. (4) Denise Dy (UW) def. Jaklin Alawi (LBSU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) def. Lina Xu (UW), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Samantha Smith (UW) def. Rachel Manasse (LBSU), 4-6, 6-4, (10-8)
5. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU), 7-6 (4), 6-2