No. 9 Men's Tennis Posts 4-0 Rain-Shortened Victory
March 3, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 9 Stanford blanked Utah 4-0 on Wednesday afternoon, snapping a two-match losing skid and picking up its first victory in almost two weeks.
The Cardinal (8-3, 0-0 Pac-10) easily handled the Utes (4-7, 0-0 Mountain West), despite battling rainy weather and a change in venue.
With the threat of inclement weather, the teams agreed to play singles first. Stanford appeared to be in control, taking five of six first sets and jumping out to early leads in several second sets.
But rain started to fall, so competition was moved indoors with one match being played at a time.
Richard Wire was first up, and coasted past Timmy Allin 6-4, 4-0 at the No. 4 spot to give Stanford a 1-0 lead. Alex Clayton followed with a 6-0, 6-4 win at the No. 2 position, and Denis Lin put the Cardinal in a position to clinch with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Dmytro Mamedov at the No. 5 spot.
Greg Hirshman won his ninth in a row to secure the shutout, defeating Alex Golding 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 3 spot.
The remaining two singles contests were abandoned and doubles was not played.
Stanford is back in action this weekend, participating in the Pacific Coast Doubles in La Jolla, Calif.
No. 9 Stanford 4, Utah 0
1) No. 11 Bradley Klahn (STAN) led Phillip Eilers (UTAH) 6-4, 0-1, susp.
2) No. 18 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Jason Smits (UTAH) 6-0, 6-4
3) Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Alex Golding (UTAH) 6-2, 6-3
4) Richard Wire (STAN) d. Timmy Allin (UTAH) 6-4, 6-0
5) Denis Lin (STAN) d. Dmytro Mamedov (UTAH) 6-1, 6-0
6) Matt Kandath (STAN) vs. Stephen Jacobs (UTAH) 5-5
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:30am PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive