Cats drop match to Cougars
March 6, 2010
PULLMAN, Wash--The No. 39 Arizona women's tennis season dropped their second conference match of the season to Washington State 6-1 Sunday.
The Cats started strong with winning two of three doubles, and ending the three straight streak of doubles losses. At No. 1, sophomore Natasha Marks and freshman Alexandrina Naydenova defeated the duo of Jansen and Fournier 8-3. At No. 3, senior Ariane Masschelein and sophomore Sarah Landsman defeated Gomez and Googe 8-3.
In singles, at No. 1, Marks fought hard in three sets against Liudmila Vasilieva, dropping the first set 1-6, but coming back in set two 6-1. In the end, No. 79 Vasilieva came out on top in the final set, winning 6-4.
Arizona (8-4, 0-2 Pac-10) forced Washington State (8-5, 1-1 Pac-10) to the third set of five of six singles matches.
'This was a rough weekend for women's tennis.' Said head coach Vicky Maes, 'We really let both matches slip away from us. I don't feel like either team was better, we just beat ourselves. Mentally, we brought nothing to the court as a team, and that's extremely disappointing. Though this is a big setback, the bigger question is how we will show up next week.'
Up next, the Wildcats return to the LaNelle Robson tennis center to host Memphis on Friday, March 12 at 1:30. On Saturday, the Cats will return to the conference schedule against Oregon at noon.
1. No. 79 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. No. 89 Natasha Marks (UA) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
2. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. No. 106 Sarah Landsman (UA) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Alexandrina Naydenova (UA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) def. Ariene Masschelein (UA) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Marina Nicolas (WSU) def. Natalia Toporowska (UA) 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Jessica Gomez (WSU) def. Debora Castany (UA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 6, 1, 3, 5, 4
1. Marks/Naydenova (UA) def. Jansen/Fournier (WSU) 8-3
2. Kankaras/Vasilieva (WSU) def. Riesch/Toporowska (UA) 7-6
3. Masschelein/Landsman (UA) def. Gomez/Googe (WSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2