No. 22 Washington Downs New Mexico, 5-2
March 6, 2010
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The Husky men's tennis team ran its win streak to seven-straight matches with a 5-2 victory today over 54th-ranked New Mexico in a match played at Minnesota's Baseline Tennis Center. The Huskies (12-1) will face the Gophers on Sunday.
Washington stayed warm in the chilly Minnesota weather, sweeping the doubles point from the Lobos and taking four of six singles matches.
56th-ranked junior Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan led the way with a dominant 6-1, 6-1 win over Carl Ho at the No. 1 singles spot. The Dawgs also picked up straight-set wins at No. 2 singles, where freshman Kyle McMorrow handled Ben Dunbar, 6-4, 6-2, and at No. 4 singles where junior Tobi Obenaus ran his record to 10-1 with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Phil Anderson.
Also coming through today was junior Alex Rosinski at sixth singles. Rosinski lost the first set, 3-6, to Conor Berg before rallying for wins of 6-2 and 6-3 in the second and third sets.
New Mexico's points came in three setters. Jadon Philips overcame junior Martin Kildahl at third singles, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, and junior Brad Bator fell short in a third set super-tiebreak against Joe Wood at No. 5.
Doubles went quickly to the Huskies. 50th-ranked Nedunchezhiyan and McMorrow were 8-3 winners at No. 1 over Dunbar and Philips. Drabble and Kildahl cruised to an 8-1 win over Ho and Anderson, and 58th-ranked Rosinski and Obenaus were 8-5 winners at No. 3 doubles over Wood and Berg.
Sunday, UW and Minnesota will face off at 10 a.m. Pacific time in the Baseline Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 6, 2010 - Minneapolis, Minn.
Baseline Tennis Center
No. 22 Washington 5, No. 54 New Mexico 2
1) (50) Nedunchezhiyan/McMorrow (UW) def. Dunbar/Philips (NM), 8-3
2) Drabble/Kildahl (UW) def. Ho/Anderson (NM), 8-1
3) (58) Rosinski/Obenaus (UW) def. Wood/Berg (NM), 8-5
1) (56) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Carl Ho (NM), 6-1, 6-1
2) Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Ben Dunbar (NM), 6-4, 6-2
3) Jadon Philips (NM) def. Martin Kildahl (UW), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Phil Anderson (NM), 6-4, 6-1
5) Joe Wood (NM) def. Brad Bator (UW), 6-7, 6-4, (10-7)
6) Alex Rosinski (UW) def. Conor Berg (NM), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3