No. 44 Women's Tennis Upsets No. 18 Washington
March 6, 2010
The No. 44 Arizona State women's tennis team upset No. 18 Washington 5-2 to improve to 2-0 in Pac-10 play. The Sun Devils are now 6-2 overall while the Huskies drop to 9-2.
The Sun Devils earned the doubles point as they won two out of three matches. The team of senior Nadia Abdala and junior Micaela Hein were the first ones off the courts as they took down Venise Chan and Samantha Smith 8-3 in the No. 1 slot. The duo of Michelle Brycki and Nicole Smith earned an 8-4 win over Joyce Ardies and Aleskandra Krslijanin. The team of Kelcy McKenna and Hannah James retired after being down 7-2.
Four of the singles matches went the way of the Sun Devils. Hein continues to play well in the No. 2 position as she was the first one finished. The junior All-American earned a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Lina Xu. Sianna Simmons came back strong after dropping her first set 6-1. She won the next two to earn a win in the No. 6 slot. Kelcy McKenna clinched the match for the Sun Devils. The All-American battled out a 6-3, 7-5 win over Samantha Smith to for the Sun Devils' second Pac-10 victory. Michelle Brycki continued her solid sophomore season as she was victorious in a tough 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (1) match.
The Sun Devils have a jam-packed week ahead of them as they host Memphis on Wednesday, Oregon on Friday and USC on Saturday. USC's match will not count in Pac-10 standings.
No. 44 Arizona State 5, No. 18 Washington 2
1. Abdala/Hein (ASU) def. Chan/Smith (UW), 8-3
2. Malovic/Xu (UW) def. McKenna/James (ASU), 7-2, ret.
3. Brycki/Smith (ASU) def. Ardies/Krsljanin (UW), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (16) Venise Chan (UW) def. Nadia Abdala (ASU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Lina Xu (UW), 6-1, 6-1
3. (104) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Samantha Smith (UW), 6-3, 7-5
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Hannah James (ASU), 7-6, 7-5
5. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (1)
6. Sianna Simmons (UA) def. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW), 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 1, 6, 3, 5, 4
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive