Bruin Comeback Sinks Blue Devils, 4-3 in Men's Tennis
March 9, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The eighth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team rallied for a dramatic comeback on Tuesday, as the Bruins fought back from 0-3 down to beat Duke, 4-3 in a non-conference match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Things didn't go well for UCLA (7-3) from the start, as Duke became the first team this season to sweep the Bruins in doubles play. The Blue Devils managed to clinch the point when Alain Michel and Torsten Wietoska downed UCLA's Alex Brigham and Holden Seguso, 8-5 at court No. 3.
Despite the setback in doubles, UCLA still managed to come out and take the first set in four of six singles matches on Tuesday. Duke, however, was firmly in control at court Nos. 1 and 4. After 14th-ranked Henrique Cunha dispatched of 40th-ranked Bruin Haythem Abid at court No. 1, the Blue Devils went ahead 3-0 in the match when Wietoska downed Seguso, 6-3, 6-3 at court No. 4.
UCLA's back was firmly against the wall at that point, as the Bruins now faced the prospect of having to win all four remaining matches to pull off the victory.
Amit Inbar (court No. 5) and Maxime Tabatruong (court No. 6) would give UCLA some hope, as each player posted straight-set wins to cut the lead to 3-2. Nick Meister's match at court No. 3 was also pivotal, as he fought off set points in each set against Dylan Arnould, eventually winning 7-5, 7-5 to tie the match at 3-3.
The only remaining match at that point was at court No. 2, where UCLA's Matt Brooklyn was down a break in the third set against Reid Carleton. With Carleton serving up 4-2, Brooklyn broke back for 4-3, eventually taking four straight games to close out a 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 victory, giving UCLA the narrow 4-3 win.
UCLA gets a day off before hosting No. 16 Baylor on Thursday at 1:30 p.m.
#8 UCLA 4, #33 Duke 3 Duke Wins Doubles Point
Mar 09, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #3 Cunha/Carleton (DUKE) def. #55 Abid/Meister (UCLA) 8-2
2. Arnould/Holland (DUKE) def. Brooklyn/Inbar (UCLA) 8-7 (9-7)
3. Michel/Wietoska (DUKE) def. Alex Brigham/Seguso (UCLA) 8-5
1. #14 Henrique Cunha (DUKE) def. #40 Haythem Abid (UCLA) 6-2, 6-0
2. #50 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #70 Reid Carleton (DUKE) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. #118 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #63 Dylan Arnould (DUKE) 7-5, 7-5
4. Torsten Wietoska (DUKE) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
5. #92 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. David Holland (DUKE) 6-0, 7-5
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Alain Michel (DUKE) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
Duke 5-3; National ranking #33
UCLA 6-3; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,4,5,6,3,2)
Duke Wins Doubles Point
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive