Second-Ranked Women's Tennis Team Downs Pepperdine, 6-1
March 9, 2010
Malibu, Calif. - The second-ranked UCLA women's tennis team posted its second victory of the year over local rival Pepperdine on Tuesday, downing the Waves, 6-1 at the Ralps-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu.
The Bruins (14-1) won all three doubles matches for the first point. They won the first set in all six singles matches, and moved within a point of clinching the match with straight-set victories at court Nos. 3 and 4..
But four of the Waves' singles players battled back and won their second set: freshman Arianna Colffer at court No. 1, junior Anamika Bhargava at court No. 2, sophomore Andrea Oates at court No. 5, and senior Tania Rice at court No. 6.
However, UCLA would capture the third set in the first three of those matches. In the final match to finish, Pepperdine's Rice prevailed for the Waves' only point of the day.
UCLA also downed Pepperdine, 5-0 at the LATC back on Jan. 27.
UCLA is scheduled to face No. 9 Baylor tomorrow at the LATC beginning at 1:30 p.m.
#2 UCLA 6, #37 Pepperdine 1 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Mar 09, 2010 at Malibu, CA (Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
1. #4 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. Bhargava/Zalameda (PEPP) 8-4
2. Hickey/Pantic (UCLA) def. Oates/Walters (PEPP) 8-3
3. Montez/Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Panu/Rice (PEPP) 8-1
1. #5 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. #81 Arianna Colffer (PEPP) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
2. #37 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEPP) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
3. #34 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Ali Walters (PEPP) 6-2, 6-0
4. Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Marie Zalameda (PEPP) 6-1, 6-2
5. #124 Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) def. Andrea Oates (PEPP) 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
6. Tania Rice (PEPP) def. Nina Pantic (UCLA) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
UCLA 14-1; National ranking #2
Pepperdine 4-8; National ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (13,2); Singles (4,3,1,5,2,6)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 3:00pm PTLive