Game Nine Post-Game Quotes: UCLA vs. Stanford
March 14, 2010
· As the 2010 State Farm Pac-10 Tournament champion, Stanford has earned the Pac-10’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Stanford has made the NCAA field for the 23rd consecutive season (24th overall).
· The 2010 All-Pac-10 Tournament team:
Most Outstanding Player: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (2nd time All-Tournament)
Jayne Appel, Stanford (3rd time)
Ashley Corral, USC
Jasmine Dixon, UCLA
Kayla Pedersen, Stanford (3rd time and 2009 MOP)
Markel Walker, UCLA
· This is the 5th time that the MOP of the Tournament was also the Pac-10’s Player of the Year. Stanford’s Nicole Powell (2002, 2004) and Candice Wiggins (2005, 2008) were also MOP and POY in the same season.
· Stanford is now 25-2 overall in the Tournament. UCLA drops to 11-8.
· These teams have now met 7 times in the Tournament, the most frequent match-up in its history. Stanford has won 6 of the 7 games.
· Stanford’s 24 point margin of victory was the 2nd largest in a Tournament championship game (Stanford won by 25 over USC last season).
· Stanford’s Jayne Appel and Kayla Pedersen started their third consecutive Tournament title game; Appel started her first game of the Tournament.
· The Cardinal scored first and never trailed in the first half. Stanford’s Ogwumike scored 10th point of the game with 8:11 to go in the 1st half; it was her 29th double digit scoring game of the season. The Bruins were within 6 points (17-11) at 9:26 but Stanford went on a 19-8 run to end the half. Melanie Murphy scored 7 points in the run. Ogwumike finished the half with 12 points. Dixon paced the Bruins with 11 points (her 21st 10+ scoring game of the season.)
· Stanford built a 22 point lead (45-23) with 14:21 to go in the 2nd half. UCLA chipped away at the lead, closing to within 13 (58-45) with 7:15 to go on Dixon’s 19th point. Dixon fouled out of the game with 5:19 to go (20 points, 5 rebs.)
· The Cardinal shot 50% in the game (25-50). It was the best shooting effort by a team in the Tournament.
· Ogwumike scored 59 points in this year’s Tournament, the 2nd most (tie) scored in a single Tournament. She also totaled 30 rebounds, the 5th most (tie) for a Tournament. Teammate Kayla Pedersen garnered 31 in the three games, 2nd most (tie) on the same list.
· Melanie Murphy scored 10 points off the bench for Stanford; it was her 2nd double digit scoring game of the season.
· Stanford double-doubles: Ogwumike (13th of season, 16 points, 10 rebs) and Pedersen (12th of season, 12 points, 11 rebs.)
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive