Cats Fall to Sooners in Final Four
March 20, 2010
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The No. 33 Arizona men’s tennis team dropped the doubles point and the 17th-ranked Oklahoma Sooners went on to clinch the victory 4-1 by claiming three out of four singles matches today in the semifinals of the Blue/Gray Classic at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center. The Sooners snapped the Cats four-match winning streak and advance to play Texas Tech tomorrow in the finals of the Blue/Gray Classic.
“All in all it was a successful week for the team,” said head coach Tad Berkowitz. “It was a long road trip for the guys, but they did a great job with their effort all week.”
In doubles action, the Sooners went up 1-0 after they clinched victories on courts one and three. In the No. 1 slot, Andrei Daescu and Costin Paval topped Arizona’s 50th-ranked duo of Borja Malo and Pat Metham 8-2. The Wildcats also fell on court three where Sooner’s pair Lawrence Formentera and Blake Boswell defeated Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco 8-3 to claim the point.
Arizona’s lone point came in singles action on court four where sophomore Jason Zafiros downed Pultr 6-3, 6-2. The Sooner’s No. 83rd-ranked Beleleu defeated Arango 6-2, 7-5 in the No. 2 slot and Embry fell to Formentura in a tough 7-6, 6-0 match on court five. Soon after, No. 70 Paval clinched the win for the Sooners by topping Carrasco 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 3 position.
Arizona drops to 11-5, while Oklahoma improves to 12-1.
The Wildcats advanced to the final four of the Blue/Gray Tennis Classic out of 15 teams after two successful wins on Thursday and Friday. On Thursday, Arizona swept No. 69 William & Mary 4-0 then topped No. 39 Tulsa 4-2 on Friday.
Arizona returns home for the week after being on the road since March 13 against San Diego. The Cats will be back on the road again next weekend when they travel to California to face No. 15 California on March 26 and No. 13 Stanford on March 27.
No. 17 Oklahoma vs. No. 33 Arizona Results
No. 17 Oklahoma 4, No. 33 Arizona 1
1. Daescu/Paval (OU) def. No. 55 Malo/Metham (UA) 8-2
2. Embry/Hazi (UA) vs. Pultr/Beleleu (OU) DNF
3. Formentera/Boswell (OU) def. Arango/Carrasco (UA) 8-3
1. Jay Goldman (UA) vs. No. 20 Andrei Daescu (OU) 6-2, 2-6 DNF
2. No. 83 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Andres Arango (UA) 6-2, 7-5
3. No. 70 Costin Paval (OU) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 6-4, 6-3*
4. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. David Pultr (OU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Geoff Embry (UA) 7-6, 6-0
6. Borja Malo (UA) vs. George Chanturia (OU) 6-7, 2-1 DNF