Men's Tennis Clinches Best Start In Program History
March 23, 2010
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The Huskies closed out non-conference play in style today with a 6-1 road win over UC Santa Barbara at the Recreation Center Courts. The 21st-ranked Dawgs established a new mark for the best start to a season in program history with a record of 15-1 heading into Pac-10 play on Friday.
Washington took care of the Gauchos with a doubles point sweep and five wins in singles. 54th-ranked junior Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan got himself ramped up for conference play with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Philip Therp in the No. 1 singles match. Nedunchezhiyan has gone 12-3 in the top spot this season.
The Huskies also picked up straight-set wins from juniors Martin Kildahl and Tobi Obenaus at fourth and fifth singles, respectively. Kildahl handled Scott Hohenstein, 6-4, 6-4, while Obenaus was too much for Benjamin Recknagel, cruising to a 6-1, 6-4 victory.
On courts two and six UW fought back from a set down for the win. Freshman Kyle McMorrow upped his record to 17-3 on the year with a 4-6, 6-4, (12-10) win over Alex Konigsfeldt in the second position. At No. 6, after a rough first set, junior Alex Rosinski dominated the remainder of his match with Mathieu Forget, winning 1-6, 6-1, 6-2.
UCSB's only point came at No. 3 singles, a straight-set win for Lucas Sudow over senior Derek Drabble.
The Huskies took the doubles point for the fifth match in a row and swept it for the ninth time this season. McMorrow and Nedunchezhiyan defeated Konigsfeldt and Goggin, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles and are now 12-2 in dual play. Drabble and Kildahl were 8-6 winners over Hohenstein and Jurgensen at No. 2, and the 69th-ranked pair of Obenaus and Rosinski took care of Sudow and Recknagel, 8-5, at No. 3.
Washington now jets back home quickly to prep for a huge home weekend against 12th-ranked UCLA and 5th-ranked USC, the defending NCAA Champs. This Friday, March 26, at 1:30 p.m., UW will face the Bruins, and the next afternoon the Huskies and Trojans will meet at 1 p.m. Both matches will be outdoors at the Bill Quillian Courts.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 23, 2010 - Santa Barbara, Calif.
Recreation Center Courts
No. 21 Washington 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
1) Nedunchezhiyan/McMorrow (UW) def. Konigsfeldt/Goggin (UCSB), 8-4
2) Drabble/Kildahl (UW) def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB), 8-6
3) (69) Obenaus/Rosinski (UW) def. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB), 8-5
1) (54) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Philip Therp (UCSB), 6-1, 6-3
2) Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Alex Konigsfeltd (UCSB), 4-6, 6-4, (12-10)
3) Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-2, 6-1
4) Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB), 6-4, 6-4
5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB), 6-1, 6-4
6) Alex Rosinski (UW) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2