Dy A Winner But Dawgs Fall At UCLA
March 27, 2010
LOS ANGELES - Sixth-ranked sophomore Denise Dy picked up yet another win over a ranked opponent at second singles, but her point would be the only one for the Huskies today in a 6-1 loss at No. 5 UCLA. 19th-ranked Washington falls to 9-4 with the setback and 1-3 in Pac-10 play while the Bruins improved to 16-2 and 3-0 in conference.
Dy got off to a slow start in her match against 49th-ranked Noelle Hickey, dropping the first set, 6-2. Hickey then took a 3-1 lead to open the second set, before Dy quickly flipped the tables and strung together five-straight games to take the set, 6-3. With the Bruins having already clinched, the two played a ten-point tiebreak, and Dy came out ahead. The San Jose, Calif. native is now 3-0 in Pac-10 matches and 22-3 on the year.
But from there it was all UCLA. 15th-ranked Venise Chan could never quite get out in front of 4th-ranked Yasmin Schnack in the top singles match, and Schnack scored a 6-3, 6-4 win.
Junior Lina Xu struggled against 35th-ranked Andrea Remynse at third singles, falling 6-0, 6-1. Sophomore Samantha Smith picked things up in the second set but fell short against Pamela Montez, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 4. Seniors Joyce Ardies and Aleksandra Malovic also fell in straight sets at fifth and sixth singles, respectively.
The Huskies will right the ship next weekend in Eugene, where they will face the Oregon Ducks on Friday, April 2, at 1:30 p.m.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 27, 2010 - Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles Tennis Center
No. 5 UCLA 6, No. 19 Washington 1
1. (5) Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. (11) Ardies/Dy (UW), 8-0
2. Hickey/Pantic (UCLA) def. Chan/Smith (UW), 8-4
3. Montez/Seguso (UCLA) def. Malovic/Xu (UW), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (4) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. (15) Venise Chan (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. (6) Denise Dy (UW) def. (49) Noelle Hickey (UCLA), 2-6, 6-3, 1-0
3. (35) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Lina Xu (UW), 6-0, 6-1
4. Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Samantha Smith (UW), 6-1, 6-4
5. Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-3, 6-2
6. Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4, 1, 5, 2