No. 9 UCLA Downs No. 17 Cal, 5-2 in Men's Tennis
April 2, 2010
LOS ANGELES - The No. 9 UCLA men's tennis team managed to keep its perfect Pac-10 record intact on Friday, registering a 5-2 victory over No. 17 Cal at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who move to 11-4 overall and 3-0 in the conference, join USC as the only other undefeated Pac-10 team. The Trojans defeated No. 7 Stanford, 5-2 on Friday.
Bruin junior Nick Meister, who continues to anchor UCLA's top singles position in place of the injured Haythem Abid, turned in one of the best wins of his career on Friday. Listed at No. 89 in this week's ITA Singles Rankings, Meister was nearly flawless in a 6-1, 6-0 victory over No. 16 Pedro Zerbini. Meister is now 5-0 at the No. 1 position and has won nine of his last 10 matches overall.
Perhaps feeding off the energy of his teammate just two courts away, 52nd-ranked Matt Brooklyn was next to finish, losing just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 victory over No. 116 Jonathan Dahan.
Although Brooklyn's win put the Bruins on the verge of clinching with a 3-0 lead, Cal (10-5; 1-1 Pac-10) managed to get on the board when Riki McLachlan downed Alex Brigham, 6-3, 6-2 at court No. 6.
The Bears' excitement was short lived, however, as Bruin freshman Maxime Tabatruong, after dropping the second set in a tiebreaker, fought back to defeat Bozhidar Katsarov, 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-0 at court No. 5 to give UCLA the win.
UCLA won the doubles point on Friday, posting wins at court Nos. 1 and 3. Court No. 2 was suspended once the point was decided.
UCLA's weekend doesn't get any easier on Saturday, as the Bruins are scheduled to host No. 7 Stanford at 1:00 p.m.
#9 UCLA 5, #17 California 2 UCLA Wins Doubles Point
Apr 02, 2010 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #41 Inbar/Meister (UCLA) def. #26 Dahan/Zerbini (CAL) 8-4
2. Haythem Abid/Brigham (UCLA) vs. #23 Andrews/Konigsfeldt (CAL) 5-6, unfinished
3. Brooklyn/Stewart (UCLA) def. Katsarov/McLachlan (CAL) 8-3
1. #89 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #16 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 6-1, 6-0
2. #102 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. #71 Chris Konigsfeldt (CAL) 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-3
3. #52 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #116 Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nick Andrews (CAL) def. Kallim Stewart (UCLA) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-0
6. Riki McLachlan (CAL) def. Alex Brigham (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2
California 10-5; 1-1 Pac-10; National ranking #17
UCLA 11-4; 3-0 Pac-10; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,3,6,5,4,2)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive