Fournier and Vasilieva Upset Nationally-Ranked Opponents in Cougar Tennis Loss
April 8, 2010
PULLMAN, Wash. -- Elisabeth Fournier and Liudmila Vasilieva led Washington State University to their best performance against Stanford in school history Thursday. WSU claimed two points from the No. 11 Cardinal in a 5-2 loss.
The Cougs (9-12, 1-5 Pac-10) took on nationally-ranked Stanford at the Simmelink Tennis Courts in Hollingbery Fieldhouse. Stanford started the day by sweeping the doubles matches. The No. 2 duo of Barte and Lindsay Burdette took on Fournier and Vasilieva in the No. 1 spot, with WSU falling 8-0.
WSU played another ranked pair at the No. 2 spot. Ksenia Googe and Andjela Kankaras battled No. 34 Mallory Burdette and Stacey Tan to a tie at five, before allowing Stanford the last three games, losing 8-5.
Fournier's victory in No. 1 singles represented the highest-ranked opponent a WSU player has beaten since March 20, 2005 when Eka Burduli defeated Washington's No. 6 Dea Sumantri, and the second highest-ranked opponent a WSU player has beaten all-time. The win is Fournier's 26th of the season, moving her two wins closer to a tie with Burduli and Erin Majury for all-time singles victories in a season.
Freshman Vasilieva upset her nationally-ranked opponent in No. 2 singles to take the second point of the day for the Cougs. No. 94 Vasilieva took No. 61 Lindsay Burdette to three sets, winning the match 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. With 22 victories this year, Vasilieva is one of three Cougars with at least 20 total wins. Andjela Kankaras is the third Cougar with 20 wins.
The last time a WSU player beat a Stanford player in singles was in 2008 when Alexsandra Stefanova beat Lindsay Burdette in three sets, Feb. 23. WSU has never posted two singles victories over Stanford.
The Cougars continue their homestand Friday against Northern Arizona University. Match time is set for noon at the Simmelink Tennis Courts in Hollingbery Fieldhouse.
No. 11 Stanford 5, Washington State 2
April 8, 2010
Simmelink Tennis Courts
1. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. No. 8 Hilary Barte (STAN), 6-4, 6-0
2. No. 94 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. No. 61 Lindsay Burdette (STAN), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 36 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU), 6-1, 6-1
4. No. 69 Stacey Tan (STAN) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. No. 109 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Veronica Li (STAN) def. Lea Jansen (WSU), 6-1, 6-0
Order: 3, 1, 4, 5, 6, 2
1. No. 2 Barte/Burdette (STAN) def. Fournier/Vasilieva (WSU), 8-0
2. No. 34 Burdette/Tan (STAN) def. Googe/Kankaras (WSU), 8-5
3. McVeigh/Li (STAN) def. Nicolas/Jansen (WSU), 8-4
Order: 1, 3, 2