No. 11 Stanford Opens Road Swing With 5-2 Win At Washington State
April 8, 2010
PULLMAN, Wash.- No. 11 Stanford notched its eighth straight victory on Thursday afternoon, taking down Washington State 5-2 in Pullman, Wash.
The Cardinal (15-1, 4-0 Pac-10) has not dropped a match since its only loss of the year back on Feb. 26, a 6-1 defeat to then-No. 4 UCLA. Meanwhile, the Cougars fall to 9-12 overall and 1-5 in league play.
Stanford easily wrapped up the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead, sweeping all three matches. Highlighting doubles play was an 8-0 rout at the No. 1 position by the nation's second-ranked team of Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette.
The Cardinal locked up convincing victories at the Nos. 3-6 spots to clinch the match. Aside from Stacey Tan's three-set win on court four, the trio of Mallory Burdette, Carolyn McVeigh and Veronica Li combined to surrender just four games as each player dominated in straight sets.
Washington State's two points came from surprise wins at the top two spots of the lineup.
Stanford's three-game road swing continues tomorrow at No. 25 Washington in a 1:30 p.m. contest.
No. 11 Stanford 5, Washington State 2
1) No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) d. Fournier/Vasilieva (WSU) 8-0
2) No. 34 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) d. Googe/Kankaras (WSU) 8-5
3) McVeigh/Li (STAN) d. Jansen/Nicolas (WSU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
SINGLES1) Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) d. No. 8 Hilary Barte (STAN) 6-4, 6-0
2) No. 94 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) d. No. 61 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3) No. 36 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4) No. 69 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
5) No. 109 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Lea Jansen (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 6, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive