No. 10 Stanford Routs Santa Clara 7-0; No. 12 Cal Up Next On Saturday
April 15, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 10 Stanford posted its seventh shutout victory of the year on Thursday afternoon, blanking Santa Clara 7-0 at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal (18-1, 6-0 Pac-10) has now won 11 straight matches since its only loss of the year back on Feb. 26, a 6-1 defeat to then-No. 4 UCLA. Meanwhile, the Broncos fell to 13-6 overall.
Stanford extended its NCAA-record home winning streak to 160 matches in a row (130 in the regular season). The Cardinal has not lost a home match since Feb. 27, 1999, when No. 4 California pulled a 5-4 upset.
Victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 spots secured a 1-0 lead for Stanford after claiming the doubles point.
Stanford dominated singles action, with no player surrendering more than four games in the process. Veronica Li and Carolyn McVeigh picked up victories on courts six and five, respectively, before Mallory Burdette won her 11th consecutive contest and team-leading 29th victory of the season.
Next up for Stanford is a pivotal clash against No. 12 California on Saturday, Apr. 17, at 12 p.m. in The Spring Smash, presented by Zoom Marketing. The Cardinal, which defeated the Golden Bears 5-2 in Berkeley on Mar. 6 in a non-counting conference match, can secure a share of the Pac-10 regular season title with a victory. Lindsay Burdette will also be honored in Senior Day festivities prior to the match.
No. 10 Stanford 7, Santa Clara 0
1) No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) d. Cox/Wagner (SC) 8-4
2) Agra/Zaniewski (SC) d. No. 46 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) 8-2
3) McVeigh/Li (STAN) d. Lamble/McGeorge (SC) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 4 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Kelly Lamble (SC) 6-3, 6-4
2) No. 68 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Alex Zaniewski (SC) 6-2, 6-1
3) No. 39 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Kacie Wagner (SC) 6-3, 6-3
4) No. 73 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Maggie McGeorge (SC) 6-4, 6-2
5) No. 120 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Jessica Agra (SC) 6-1, 6-2
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Kimmi Cox (SC) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 1, 2, 4