Huskies Rough Up Cougars To End Regular Season
April 17, 2010
PULLMAN, Wash. - The Huskies showed up in Pullman with some fight today and squashed any potential upset with a 6-1 win over Washington State in the regular season finale for both teams. Washington, ranked 28th, had too much depth for the Cougars, and put the win away early before adding some marquee singles wins late at the WSU Outdoor Courts.
The Huskies (11-5, 3-5 Pac-10) likely locked up their third-consecutive NCAA tournament berth with the win, but will have to wait until May 4 for the official selections.
Today, the Huskies took the doubles point, and then rolled to three straight-set singles wins in the lower half of the lineup. Senior Aleksandra Malovic earned her fourth win in a row, topping Marina Nicolas, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5 singles. Fellow senior Joyce Ardies then posted a similarly one-sided 6-2, 6-1 win over Andjela Kankaras at No. 4 singles to make it 3-0.
Junior Aleksandra Krlsljanin got her first action since March 6, and came through with the clinching win, a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Lea Jansen at sixth singles.
Wazzu's top two singles players were two of the hottest in the Pac-10, after going 3-1 against Stanford and California last weekend. Liudmila Vasilieva earned Pac-10 Player of the Week honors last week and moved up to 58th in the ITA singles rankings. However, 16th-ranked Husky Venise Chan rallied to defeat Vasilieva 2-6, 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 2 singles match.
At the No. 1 spot, ninth-ranked Denise Dy also lost the first set to 78th-ranked Elisabeth Fournier, but took the second set, 6-2, and then took the decisive third-set super-tiebreaker, 10-7, for the win.
The Huskies will look to make some noise this coming week at the Pac-10 Championships down in Ojai, California. The individual championships run from April 22-25.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 17, 2010 - Pullman, Wash.
WSU Outdoor Courts
No. 28 Washington 6, Washington State 1
1. (15) Ardies/Dy (UW) def. Fournier/Vasilieva (WSU) 8-5
2. Googe/Kankaras (WSU) def. Smith/Chan (UW) 8-5
3. Malovic/Radunovic (UW) def. Jansen/Nicolas (WSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (9) Denise Dy (UW) def. (78) Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) 4-6, 6-2, (10-7)
2. (16) Venise Chan (UW) def. (58) Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Samantha Smith (UW) 6-7, 6-1, (12-10)
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW) def. Lea Jansen (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6, 1, 2, 3