USC Women To Finish Stanford Match In Ojai
April 20, 2010
When the USC and Stanford women's tennis teams squared off last month for their Pac-10 dual match, rains forced competition to be limited to singles play only. After a tense round of six singles matches, the Trojans and the Cardinal remained locked up 3-3 in the match before competition was halted. That left a key Pac-10 match undecided, and as the result of the match could factor into the ultimate conference title, USC and Stanford will play out their doubles point this week.
At 11 a.m. on Wednesday (April 21) in Ojai, Calif. - the site of the 2010 Pac-10 Championships, which run April 22-25 - USC and Stanford are set to square off in three doubles matches to decide the winning point.
Although USC carries two losses in Pac-10 play and Stanford is undefeated, the outcome of the USC-Stanford dual match could carry weight in the final conference standings. UCLA has one loss in Pac-10 play, so if USC can win the doubles point on Wednesday and therefore claim the Pac-10 win over the Cardinal, UCLA and Stanford would both hold one conference loss in the standings. To muddle matters further, UCLA and California also had their Pac-10 dual match affected by weather and were unable to complete their match last month. In that vein, a USC victory over Stanford would call for a rematch of the UCLA-California clash tomorrow afternoon in Ojai.
USC is 18-57 all-time against Stanford after snapping a 50-match losing streak to the Cardinal with USC's 5-2 win last season at Marks Stadium. It was USC's first win over Stanford in 23 years. The win helped USC finish undefeated in conference play to claim the 2009 Pac-10 Championship.
Current Pac-10 Standings:
Team Conf. Pct. Overall Pct. Stanford 7-0 1.000 19-1 .950UCLA 6-1 .857 19-3 .864California 5-2 .714 18-5 .783USC 5-2 .714 13-8 .619ASU 5-3 .625 13-5 .722Washington 3-5 .375 11-5 .688Arizona 1-7 .125 13-9 .591WSU 1-7 .125 12-14 .462Oregon 1-7 .125 7-15 .318
#18 USC 3, #12 Stanford 3
April 4, 2010 - Palo Alto, Calif.
(1) #2 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. #8 Hilary Barte (STAN) - 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (6)
(2) #26 Alison Ramos (USC) def. #61 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) #30 Danielle Lao (USC) def. #69 Stacy Tan (STAN) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
(4) #36 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. #103 Valeria Pulido (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(5) #109 Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Sarah Fansler (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
(6) Veronica Li (STAN) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 1
DOUBLES - not played due to weather
(1) #46 Lao/Sanchez (USC) vs. #2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) - susp.
(2) Pulido/Ramos (USC) vs. #34 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) - susp.
(3) Fansler/Kinstler (USC) vs. Li/McVeigh (STAN) - susp.