USC Women Blank Sacramento State In NCAA Opener
May 14, 2010
BERKELEY, CALIF. - The No. 20 USC women's tennis team earned a 4-0 victory as it defeated No. 55 Sacramento State in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Championship at the Hellman Tennis Complex in Berkeley, Calif., today. The Trojans sealed the win by earning points from the bottom three courts in the lineup, and improved their overall record to 14-9 as they now prepare to fact host California tomorrow in the Second Round.
The Women of Troy opened the day by claiming the doubles point for the 15th time this season. Valeria Pulido and Alison Ramos put USC up first with an 8-2 win on court two over Clarisse Baca and Maria Meliuk. The Trojans clinched the point as Sarah Fansler and Lyndsay Kinstler completed an 8-4 win against Aileen Tsan and Milica Zivanovic at No. 3 doubles. Danielle Lao and Maria Sanchez held a 6-5 lead over Rebeca Delgado and Tatsiana Kapshai at the top court when their match was abandoned.
USC picked up its second point of the day on a 6-2, 6-1 win by Fansler. Her win over Tsan at court five gave her 10 singles victories on the season and made her the eighth Trojan to reach double digits in singles wins this year. USC went up, 3-0, when Cristala Andrews earned her 25th singles victory of the season by defeating Zalina Nazarova 6-3, 6-0 on court six.
The clinching point belonged to #112 ValeriaPulido as she pocketed a 6-4, 6-4 win over Baca at court four. It was the freshman's team-leading 28th singles victory of the season. With the win secured for USC, matches at the top three courts were abandoned. The Trojans won the first set in each of those matches as well.
USC advances to face host #12 California in the NCAA Second Round at noon PT on Sunday (May 15). Live scores and streaming video are available via links at the CalBears.com women's tennis home page.
2010 NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS -- First Round
#20 USC 4, #55 Sacramento State 0
Friday, May 14, 2010 -- Berkeley, Calif.
(1) #64 Lao/Sanchez (USC) vs. Delgado/Kapshai (SAC) -- DNF
(2) Pulido/Ramos (USC) def. Baca/Meliuk (SAC) -- 8-2
(3) Fansler/Kinstler (USC) def. Tsan/Zivanovic (SAC) -- 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 3
(1) #3 Maria Sanchez (USC) vs. Tatsiana Kapshai (SAC) -- DNF
(2) #31 Alison Ramos (USC) vs. Rebeca Delgado (SAC) -- DNF
(3) #37 Danielle Lao (USC) vs. Maria Meliuk (SAC) - DNF
(4) #112 Valeria Pulido (USC) def. Clarisse Baca (SAC) -- 6-4, 6-4
(5) Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Aileen Tsan (SAC) -- 6-2, 6-1
(6) Cristala Andrews (USC) def. Zalina Nazarova (SAC) -- 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 5, 6, 4*