No. 8 Stanford Blanks No. 31 SMU 4-0; NCAA Round of 16 Next
May 15, 2010
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 8 Stanford looked dominant once again on Saturday afternoon, this time posting a 4-0 shutout of No. 31 SMU in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
With the win, Stanford punched its ticket to next weekend's NCAA Championships round of 16 in Athens, Ga. Stanford (22-1, 8-0 Pac-10) will square off against ninth-seeded Clemson on Thursday, May 20 at 3 p.m. PT.
Playing in its 29th consecutive NCAA Tournament, Stanford improved its all-time postseason record to 111-14.
Additionally, Stanford has now won 164 consecutive matches (132 regular season, 32 NCAA Tournament) on its home court- a streak that spans 11 seasons and is the longest active home winning streak among all sports in Division I athletics. The Cardinal has not lost at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium since a 5-4 setback against No. 4 California back on Feb. 27, 1999.
Stanford, which is riding a 15-match winning streak since its only loss of the year back on Feb. 26, looked extremely sharp against SMU (24-5, 6-0 Conference USA) on Saturday afternoon.
For the 22nd time in 23 matches this year, Stanford captured the doubles point to claim a 1-0 lead. The Cardinal's top team of Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette rolled to an 8-4 win to secure the point.
Veronica Li breezed past Sophie Quist 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 6 position before Barte extended Stanford's advantage to 3-0 following a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Marta Lesniak at the No. 1 spot of the lineup.
Mallory Burdette made it official with a 6-4, 7-5 triumph on court three, rallying from a 5-2 deficit in the second set.
No. 8 Stanford 4, No. 31 SMU 0
1) No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette (STAN) d. Lesniak/Malyarchikova (SMU) 8-4
2) No. 56 M. Burdette/Tan (STAN) d. Hatamova/Vankova (SMU) 8-2
3) Li/McVeigh (STAN) led Cieplucha/Quist (SMU) 6-2, susp.
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1) No. 4 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 28 Marta Lesniak (SMU) 6-0, 6-4
2) No. 83 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) led Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) 7-5, 3-0, susp.
3) No. 33 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Katerina Vankova (SMU) 6-4, 7-5
4) No. 68 Stacey Tan (STAN) vs. Shahzoda Hatamova (SMU) 2-6, 6-2, susp.
5) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) led Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) 6-2, 4-2, susp.
6) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Sophie Quist (SMU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3