Trojans Are Back-To-Back NCAA Champs!
May 25, 2010
ATHENS, GA. - The No. 5-seeded USC men's tennis team served up one more upset to make it back-to-back NCAA Championships for the Trojans. In tonight's 2010 NCAA title match against No. 2 seed Tennessee -- held in Athens, Ga. -- USC fought back from an early hole to claim four impressive singles matches and secure the rights to the 2010 crown. USC finishes the season with a 25-3 overall record as the Trojans pin up their first back-to-back NCAA titles since 1993-94. Overall, the 2010 crown marks USC's 18th all-time NCAA men's tennis championship, making the Trojans the all-time leader in such team victories.
After losing the doubles point - a deficit that had led to USC losses in previous matches this season - the Trojans regrouped and put forth a ferocious effort in singles. Steve Johnson pulled things even with a win at the No. 2 slot, but Tennessee went back ahead with a win on court three. Undeterred, USC rattled off impressive wins to nail down the championship win. Robert Farah upset the nation's #1 singles player on court one, followed by a win from Peter Lucassen at the No. 6 slot. That wrapped up the straight-set decisions for the night, as Daniel Nguyen came through with the clincher - the sophomore's fifth straight singles win in NCAA action this year - with a 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-0 comeback to notch USC's 4-2 win for the title.
Complete championship match recap to come. Results are below.
 USC 4,  Tennessee 2
May 25, 2010 - Athens, Ga.
(1) #3 Sandgren/Smith (TENN) def. #2 Farah/Johnson (USC) - 8-6
(2) Nguyen/Sundling (USC) vs. #12 Conkic/Williams (TENN) - 4-7 susp.
(3) Fago/Jones (TENN) def. McNaughton/Poldma (USC) - 8-6
Tennessee wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3
(1) #9 Robert Farah (USC) def. #1 J.P. Smith (TENN) - 7-6 (3), 6-4
(2) #3 Steve Johnson (USC) def. #36 Boris Conkic (TENN) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) #45 Rhyne Williams (TENN) def. #89 Jaak Poldma (USC) - 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
(4) #83 Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. #111 Tennys Sandgren (TENN) - 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-0*
(5) Matt Kecki (USC) vs. #115 Matt Brewer (TENN) - 6-3, 6-7 (3), 4-5 susp.
(6) #121 Peter Lucassen (USC) def. Matteo Fago (TENN) - 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 6, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive