Pac-10 Game of the Week: California at USC
California (3-2) at USC (4-2)
Oct. 16 - 12:30 p.m. PT
Los Angeles, Calif.
Radio: Sirius 127/XM 194
Players to Watch
• QB Matt Barkley, So. - Another in a long line of highly touted USC QB's, Barkley leads the explosive USC offense with 15 TD passes and only 4 INT's.
• FB Stanley Havili, Sr. - A true team leader, Havili is not only an outstanding blocker but a clutch receiver as well.
• WR Robert Woods, Fr. - This freshman phenom had a breakout game last week vs. Stanford with 3 TD catches. Expect more big games from this speedster.
• S T.J. McDonald, So. - Son of-ex Trojan star Tim McDonald. Currently leads the defense with 46 tackles and 2 INT's.
• LB Devon Kennard, So. - The 250-pound tackling machine is another impressive underclassmen here in Troy.
• TB Shane Vereen, Jr. - The explosive Vereen leads Cal with 577 yards and 10 touchdowns overall. Watch highlights of Vereen.
• WR Keenan Allen, Fr. - Expect this true frosh and former 5-star recruit to build on his 3 TDs as the season progresses.
• P Bryan Anger, Jr. - One of the nation's leading punters with an impressive 46.2 average including 35 career punts of 50 plus yards.
• LB Mychal Kendricks, Jr. - The "big play" defensive stalwart leads the Bears with 8 TFL's.
• LB D.J. Holt, Jr. - The 250-pound former Super Prep All-American from Santa Clarita, Calif., leads Cal with 35 tackles.
This game is all about USC's explosive offense vs. the fast and active defense of the Golden Bears. Under Lane Kiffin the Trojans offense, led by accurate QB Matt Barkley, is putting up school-record numbers while the defense is playing erratically, and has already given up 500 yards vs. two opponents. Both teams are fielding young teams and I would expect USC to start playing with more fire and consistency on defense while taking advantage of their vast amount of talent. Cal's offense, led by QB Kevin Riley, is converting an impressive 44 percent of third-down attempts while putting up some impressive numbers of their own. The USC Trojans are none too happy about recent back-to-back last minute losses. Matt Barkley is a star in the making and will have to put up some big numbers to bring home a much-needed victory.
This Weekend's Pac-10 Games
|Saturday, October 16|
|California at USC||12:30 p.m. PT||TV: FSN, 127/194|
|No. 17 Arizona at Washington State||4:30 p.m. PT||TV: Versus, 217/194|
|No. 24 Oregon State at Washington||7:15 p.m. PT||TV: ESPN, 218/193|
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive