Pac-10 'Big Game' Of The Week
Stanford (9-1) at Cal (5-5)
Nov. 20 / 12:30 p.m. PT
TV: Fox Sports Net/Comcast SportsNet Bay Area
Players To Watch
- TB #34 Shane Vereen, Jr. - This dynamic breakaway threat leads the Bears with 16 touchdowns on the year.
- WR #1 Marvin Jones, Jr. - With 4 plays of 50-plus yards this season, Jones could come up big vs. the Cardinal.
- DB #2 Marc Anthony, So. - The solid cover corner will have to add to his 6 PBU's on the season to thwart Stanford's vaunted passing attack.
- DB #17 Chris Conte, Sr. - Has been all over the field this season, including 16 tackles vs. Pac-10 power USC a few weeks back.
- QB #12 Andrew Luck, Jr. - This gifted signal-caller is the best QB on the farm since John Elway.
- WR #89 Doug Baldwin, Sr. - Leads the Cardinal with 46 catches and 6 TDs. Has become a reliable third down receiver this season.
- OT #55 Jonathan Martin, Jr. - One of the top young tackles in the Pac-10 will have to be on top of his game vs. the Bears' Cameron Jordan.
- OG #74 James McGillicuddy, Sr. - Extremely physical blocker lines up as a TE in some formations. Can dominate at the point of attack.
You can toss out the records in this intense national rivalry. Cal has won seven of the last eight matchups and has a definite home field advantage on paper. Stanford counters with the top QB in the college ranks today in Andrew Luck. Expect the Bears to feed stalwart runner Shane Vereen early and often in an effort to get points on the board quickly. Stanford's passing attack is very difficult to stop but the pass rush of Cal is fierce and does have the ability to pressure Luck in to throwing some errant passes and slowing the powerful Cardinal offense. Cal is playing with back-up QB Brock Mansion, who has a powerful arm but will force throws as well.