Buffs Back At It After Spring Break
BOULDER - The University of Colorado football team practiced for the first time in 10 days following spring break on a brisk afternoon on the lower practice fields, the seventh of 15 total practices leading up to the Spring Game on April 9.
CU head coach Jon Embree was impressed with the defense the first time back on the field.
"It was a really good practice by the defense," Embree said. "I was encouraged to see them come out and respond, they were really sharp."
Defensive end Chidera Uzo-Diribe saw his first action of the spring, after suffering a broken toe in winter conditioning and having surgery in February.
"He's right there," Embree said as he passed by after practice. "He got the boot off and looked really good. I know Kanavis (McGhee) will sleep better at night now that he's back."
Embree also said that Shawn Daniels saw the field for the first time and Nick Kasa did some limited work, as well. Daniels had surgery in September after suffering a fractured foot against Colorado State in the season opener last year.
Embree spent part of the break reviewing the film from the first scrimmage (three times) and came away with some points:
- The run game was as it looked in person, solid, Tony Jones in particular ran well.
- The passing game needs work, but nothing schematic, just "guys understanding how to do some things and attacking coverage's."
- But he did say the quarterbacks did a good job running the offense, getting in and out of the huddle and taking care of the ball.
- Defensively, the tackling suffered at times and the Buffs need to be better on the defensive line, but "Conrad Obi played well, he's starting now, he's doing a really good job," and "Doug Rippy had a good scrimmage and I saw some good things from him."
- A catch-22, "defensively you don't want to see them run the ball that well, but I'm glad we are running the ball that well."
The Buffs continue a busy week that will conclude in the Buffs second spring scrimmage on Saturday. The Buffs will have closed practices Tuesday, Thursday and Friday before the open scrimmage Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on the lower practice fields.