Tennis Hosts Final Big 12 Match Wednesday
BOULDER - The University of Colorado women's tennis team will host their final Big 12 Conference match on Wednesday, April 20, against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at the South Campus Courts at Noon.
The match time was changed due to the inclement weather pending in the Boulder area on Wednesday. The singles competition will be played first.
The Buffaloes (3-16, 0-9 Big 12) will be playing their second-to-the-last conference match before traveling to Missouri on Saturday (April 23, 9 a.m., MDT) for the season finale. CU will then play at the Big 12 Tennis Championships in Waco, Texas (April 28-May 1).
Both CU and Nebraska will be joining new conferences next season with the Buffaloes headed to the Pac-12, Nebraska to the Big Ten. CU leads the all-time series, 18-16, against the 'Huskers, however are tied 8-8 in Big 12 play. The Buffs lead the conference series in Boulder holding a 4-3 edge.
Nebraska (17-6, 5-4) enters the match No. 38 nationally having lost three of their last four matches. The Cornhuskers enter the final week of the regular season in fifth place in the conference standings, setting up a potential rematch with the Buffs next week in Waco in the first round.
Wednesday will also be the last home match for lone CU senior Abbie Probert. She ranks seventh all-time on the school doubles victories list with 62 and No. 38th on the singles list with 40. On the combined all-time singles/doubles list, Probert is No. 21 overall with 102 career victories.
CU MATCH NOTES
- Freshman Kristina Schleich leads the Buffaloes with eight dual match singles victories, followed by junior Michala Hedelund Jensen, and freshmen Winde Janssens and Carla Manzi Tenorio with five apiece.
- Janssens leads the Buffs with three Big 12 singles wins, all at No. 4.
- Hedelund Jensen and Schleich each have 16 wins for the year, followed by Manzi Tenorio with 13.
- Hedelund Jensen ranks No. 25 at CU with 41 doubles wins.
- All five CU women listed above each have two singles wins when dropping the first set, then rallying back to win the next two sets.
- Today marks the final Big 12 Conference matchup between the two schools. CU heads to the Pac-12 in July; NU is headed to the Big Ten.
- CU leads the all-time series, 18-16, however are tied 8-8 in Big 12 play. The Buffs lead in Boulder holding a 4-3 edge.
- Head Coach Scott Jacobson is in his 20th season at Nebraska and currently holds a record of 282-175. He was named the 2010 Big 12 Coach of the Year after leading the Huskers to their first-ever NCAA Tournament victory.
- Sophomore Patricia Veresova is 17-5 this season in singles, including a mark of 13-2 at the No. 2 position.
- Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein have been broken into the national doubles rankings twice this season. They are 15-6 at the No. 1 singles position.
- The Nebraska women's tennis team was recently awarded the Herman Award at NU, given to the team achieving the highest GPA among women's sports team.
- The Huskers are 9-6 against nationally-ranked opponents this season.