No. 1 vs. No. 2 Highlights Pac-12 Schedule
With the league schedule getting underway and six teams ranked in the latest AVCA Coaches Poll, including four in the top 10, almost every week of the Pac-12 schedule should feature a big showdown. This week is no exception as the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the nation battle. CALIFORNIA, which holds the No. 1 spot in the coaches ranking for the third-consecutive week, hosts STANFORD. Undefeated heading into the match, the two teams are also the reigning co-league champions ... Also on the docket this week, after #6 UCLA hosts its final non-conference tune-up, the Bruins head to the Northwest to face #6 WASHINGTON in their second Pac-12 match of the weekend ... #13 USC, which started the season as the second-ranked team in the nation will also try for its first league victory when it visits the Huskies, as well ... Also in Conference action this week, UTAH and COLORADO square off in their first-official league matchup early in the week. The match will be televised on a tape-delayed basis on Fox Sports Net ... In addition to the teams mentioned above, OREGON is No. 16 in this week's AVCA Coaches poll ... After two key victories to win the Nike Big Four Classic, Stanford's Rachel Williams (Offensive) and Carly Wopat (Defensive) were voted Bank of the West Pac-12 Players of the Week. OREGON STATE'S Arica Nassar was the Freshman of the Week.
THIS WEEK'S STORY LINES
• #1 vs. #2... Top-ranked California hosts No. 2 Stanford in each team's Pac-12 opener. Both teams enter the match undefeated and were the 2010 Conference co-champions.
• More big-time matchups... This weekend also features big matches between No. 13 USC and No. 4 Washington, as well as the Huskies facing No. 6 UCLA.
• Welcome to the Pac-12... Colorado and Utah play their first-official Pac-12 match when the Utes host the Buffaloes on Tuesday, Sept. 13. That match will be televised on Fox Sports Net on a tape-delayed basis.
• Conference play gets underway ... USC and UCLA opened the Pac-12 slate last week and now all other teams begin league action starting with two matches on Tuesday night.
• What's your rank? ... Six Pac-12 teams are ranked in the AVCA's Coaches poll this week, with half those teams earning a top-five national ranking. California is the top-ranked team in the nation for the third-straight week; Stanford is No. 2 in the nation after winning the Nike Big Four Volleyball Classic; and Washington is ranked No. 4. USC was ranked No. 13 this week and Oregon is at No. 16. At this rate, each team faces at least one ranked opponent on most weekends of Pac-12 play.
• Beavers come up big... Oregon State returns to action this weekend on the heels of an upset over then-No. 22 Long Beach State. It was the Beavers' first win over a ranked opponent since 1999.
Mon., Sept. 12
Cal State Northridge at #6 UCLA - UCLA, 3-0 (25-22,25-17,25-17)
Tuesday, Sept. 13
Cal Poly at #16 OREGON, 7 p.m.
#2 STANFORD at #1 CALIFORNIA*, 7 p.m. - WATCH LIVE
UTAH at COLORADO * (FSN), 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 16
ARIZONA at #16 OREGON *, 7 p.m.
ARIZONA STATE at OREGON STATE *, 7 p.m.
COLORADO at #1 CALIFORNIA *, 7 p.m.
#6 UCLA at WASHINGTON STATE *, 7 p.m.
#13 USC at #4 WASHINGTON *, 7 p.m.
UTAH at #2 STANFORD *, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 17
ARIZONA at OREGON STATE *, 7 p.m.
COLORADO at #2 STANFORD *, 7 p.m.
#6 UCLA at #4 WASHINGTON *, 7 p.m.
#13 USC at WASHINGTON STATE *, 7 p.m.
UTAH at #1 CALIFORNIA *, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 18
ARIZONA STATE at #16 OREGON *, 1 p.m.
* Indicates Pac-12 Conference game
Game times local to site
FSN - indicates tape-delayed broadcast on Fox Sports Net. Check local listings.