This Week in Pac-12 Men's Soccer
PAC-12 MEN'S SOCCER NOTES
• The Pac-12's top two teams meet this weekend as No. 24/22 San Diego State travels to No. 9/10 UCLA. The Bruins are back in the top-10 of both the NSCAA and Soccer America polls. Cal and Stanford host Oregon State and Washington.
• Husky first-year head coach Jamie Clark was a two-time All-American at Stanford under his father, Bobby Clark, who is now at Notre Dame.
• UCLA SO MF Victor Munoz was named Bank of the West Player of the Week after tallying two assists and one goal as the Bruins improved to 4-0 in Pac-12 play with victories over Washington and Oregon State. Munoz assisted on Victor Chavez's 88th-minute goal in the 4-1 win over the Huskies. Against the Beavers, Munoz set up Kelyn Rowe's game-tying goal in the 43rd minute before scoring the game winner with 30 seconds left in the match to give UCLA the 2-1 win. It was his first goal of the season. Munoz, a transfer from Iona, also has five assists this year.
• Rowe was named to Top Drawer Soccer's National Team of the Week after scoring two goals over the weekend.
• Washington fought back from a 2-1 deficit to defeat San Diego State, 3-2. The Huskies used a header from SR MF Casey McCool in the 79th minute and a penalty kick from SR MF Jacob Hustedt in the 86th minute to earn their first conference win of the season. SR F Brent Richards recorded his seventh goal the year and ranks second in the league in both goals and points (15).
• The loss to Washington was San Diego State's first since September 4. The Aztecs were 7-0-1 over their previous eight matches, the team's longest unbeaten streak since 2007. By defeating Oregon State in the first match of the weekend, SDSU tied its best league start (3-0 in 2007) since joining the conference in 2005. SO F Miles Byass had one goal and one assist in the win over the Beavers.
• Oregon State JR F Emery Welshman notched an assist in each game last weekend to extend his streak to four games. The stretch ties him for second in Beaver history with current MLS player Ryan Johnson (2003). Chris Scotti set the school record with five in 1992.
• Cal and Stanford battled to a 1-1 double overtime tie. JR F John Fitzpatrick scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season for the Golden Bears, striking on a header in the first half. Stanford JR F Adam Jahn tied the game up with a free kick in the 77th minute. Jahn's equalizer was his third goal of 2011.
Fri., Oct. 14
Oregon State at California, 4 p.m.*
Washington at Stanford, 7 p.m.*
Sun., Oct. 16
Oregon State at Stanford, 1 p.m.*
No. 24/22 San Diego State at No. 9/10 UCLA, 5 p.m.*
Washington at California, 2 p.m.*
* Pac-12 contest
Rankings - NSCAA/Soccer America
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive