Skip to main content

Late Rally Falls Short In 3-2 Loss To Yale

Oct 12, 2013

BERKELEY – California fought back from a three-goal deficit but did not have enough time left on the clock as Yale escaped Maxwell Family Field with a 3-2 victory Saturday afternoon.

The Bulldogs (4-6, 1-2 Ivy) scored two goals off of penalty corners in the closing minutes of the first half and added a third in the opening minutes of the second half, but the Golden Bears (4-8, 1-2 NorPac) continued to believe and nearly sent the game into overtime.

Junior Lara Kruggel put the Bears on the board in the 60th minute and added a second with a penalty stroke in the 66th minute to cut the lead to one goal, but Yale was able to hold out over the final five minutes for the victory.

“I was happy about the fight,” California head coach Shellie Onstead said. “I was happy that there was plenty belief that we could even it up and maybe win in regulation. After we got the first one you could feel the momentum shift. I was happy about that. We came up a little short on time, but we gave it a good go.”

California goalkeeper Courtney Hendrickson recorded seven saves, and Yale’s Heather Schlesier tallied two saves.

On a sunny, 66-degree afternoon, the Bulldogs broke open the game at 29:14 when Nicole Wells scored her first goal of the season off a penalty corner. Less than two minutes later, the Bulldogs were awarded another penalty corner that Emily S.huckert converted to give Yale the 2-0 lead just before halftime.

Out of the break, Yale added the game-winner with a goal from Erica Borgo at 41:59, but the Golden Bears continued to press. Their efforts were rewarded at 59:46 when Kruggel broke through and got off a shot that found the back of the cage.

In the 66th minute, the Golden Bears were awarded a penalty corner that Shannon Elmitt took. Kruggel took a shot off the effort that beat the keeper, but an illegal touch at the goalline by a Yale defender led to Cal being awarded a penalty stroke. Kruggel took the honors and scored her second of the day at 65:41.

The Bears had one final opportunity to even the score in the 70th minute. Onstead pulled Hendrickson from goal and pushed numbers forward in the final 20 seconds, but Yale was able to hold off and take the victory.

“We’ll try to process this quickly and head to tomorrow,” Onstead said. “We’re changing gears, going on the road, and we’ll need to be ready by 3 o’clock tomorrow.”

California has a short turnaround with a 3 p.m. NorPac game at UC Davis on Sunday afternoon at Aggie Stadium.