Skip to main content

Card Settles for Draw

Nov 3, 2013

STANFORD, Calif. – Freshman forward Jordan Morris gave Stanford a late lead, but the Cardinal was unable to hold it in a 1-1 double-overtime men’s soccer draw with San Diego State on Sunday.

A brilliant effort by Morris in the 78th minute put Stanford in front, but San Diego State (5-9-2, 2-4-2) equalized on a shorthanded goal in the 85th minute and the match ended even after 110 minutes.

Stanford (7-5-3 overall, 1-4-2 Pac-12) faces must-win situations when it concludes the regular season with three matches in a six-day stretch. The stretch begins in the Pacific Northwest next weekend when the Cardinal visits No. 4 Washington on Friday.

“You don’t feel great with a tie when you’re winning,” Stanford coach Jeremy Gunn said. “But it doesn’t change anything. We’ve got an unbelievable opportunity ahead of us. If we win the next three games, we’ll probably be a top 16 team in the tournament. If you lose your next three, you’re not in the tournament.”  

Morris set up his sixth goal of the season when he gathered a pass at midfield and carried it through the heart of the Aztec defense. Heading left inside the penalty area, Morris cut right and struck a hard right-footed shot into the net.

“It was a wonderful,” Gunn said. “He drove through the team. He had different options to look at. He cut out of one pass and hit a great strike. We want him to keep taking chances and keep shooting.”

Only 15 seconds after the ensuing kickoff, a hard foul resulted in a San Diego State red card and seemed to enhance Stanford’s chances. But the Aztecs (5-9-2, 2-4-2) tied it when a long throw-in by Blake Wise from deep in Stanford’s end was met with a rising header by Casey Meuser and snuck inside the right post.

Stanford’s JJ Koval had two great scoring opportunities in the first overtime. The first came when he executed a spectacular bicycle kick that SDSU goalkeeper John Marcuzzo managed to push against the crossbar with his fingertips. Minutes later, Koval’s back-post header went inches wide.

“We’re creating great chances,” Gunn said. “We had a lot of good quality opportunities. We’ve just got to keep doing that and find ways to make more of them go in.”

A second yellow card issued to Stanford’s Jimmy Callinan in the 99th minute meant that the teams played the second overtime at even strength, and finished with their second draw in as many meetings this season.

“We’re frustrated at the moment because we’re coming close,” Gunn said. “We just need to look forward. We’ve got an incredible shot. We have to keep picking up points and picking up wins.”