Huskies Drop 5-2 Decision to No. 12 Pepperdine
SEATTLE – The University of Washington men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to 12th-ranked Pepperdine on Tuesday afternoon at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies claimed two singles matches but lost the doubles point and the other four singles matches, which all went to three sets.
“We have had some good matches with Pepperdine over the years,” said head coach Matt Anger. “ I know our guys are working hard and I was proud of their effort today, but I’m never happy if we’re 0-4 in three set matches. I felt that we put ourselves under the gun a little bit in our service games. We had a lot of uphill battles and I was proud of our guys for fighting hard coming back but we just needed a little more.”
Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou picked up the Dawgs’ lone doubles win with a 6-3 decision over Pepperdine’s Sofaer and Hill. Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke fell 6-4 on court one to Alex Sarkissian and Francis Alcantara while Michael Chamerski and Wendell Watanabe lost 6-3 to Leme/Giannini.
In singles action, Farkas and Sanon picked up straight-set wins. Farkas defeated Pedro Leme 6-2, 6-4 while Sanon won his match 6-2, 6-3. Manthou, Egger, Gal Hakak and Hawke all took their singles matches to three sets but did not come out on the winning side.
Up next, the Huskies head to Athens Georgia for the ITA Kickoff on Saturday, Jan. 25 facing Stanford.
1. Alex Sarkissian def. Max Manthou; 6-2, 4-6, 5-4
2. David Sofaer def. Emmett Egger; 6-4, 5-6, 6-4
3. Francis Alcantara def. Gal Hakak; 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Stefan Menichella def. Jeff Hawke; 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
5. Viktor Farkas def. Pedro Leme; 6-2, 6-4
6. Daffra Sanon def. Russell Evangelista; 6-2, 6-3
1. Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara def. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke, 6-4
2. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou def. David Sofaer/Hill, 6-3
3. Pedro Leme/Giannini def. Michael Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe, 6-3